ADVERTISEMENT

2G Spectrum ‘Scam’: What Joint Parliamentary Committee Report Said

The CAG’s “presumptive loss” theory was condemned by the Joint Parliamentary Committee report on 2G allocation.

Published
Politics
2 min read
2G Spectrum ‘Scam’: What Joint Parliamentary Committee Report Said
i

In a new twist to the 2G spectrum ‘scam’, the 17 accused in the case were acquitted of all charges by a special CBI court in New Delhi on Thursday, 21 December.

“I have absolutely no hesitation in holding that prosecution has miserably failed to prove any charge against any accused,” said CBI Judge OP Saini, acquitting former telecom minister A Raja, Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi and 15 other accused.

The scam took centre-stage after the Supreme Court issued notices to the then telecom minister A Raja and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on 13 September 2010, following a PIL filed by two activist groups and independent journalist Paranjoy Guha Thakurta, which claimed that the exchequer had borne a loss of Rs 70,000 crore due to the 2G spectrum allocation.

The other two petitioners were the then general secretary of the Centre for Public Interest Litigation, Prashant Bhushan, and the former secretary of NGO ‘Telecom Watchdog’, Anil Kumar.

The trial in the 2G spectrum scam, which cost the then Manmohan Singh-led UPA government heavily, began in 2011 after the court had framed charges against the 17 accused. All the accused in these cases had consistently denied the charges levelled against them.
ADVERTISEMENT

What Did the JPC Report Say?

The CAG’s “presumptive loss” theory was condemned by the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) (headed by PC Chacko) report on allocation and pricing of telecom licences, and the 2G spectrum.

The JPC report said that the calculations of the CAG report which helped it reach loss figures between Rs 57,666 crore and Rs 1.76-lakh crore were “untenable” and “unrealistic”.

As cited in this 2013 article by The Hindu, the JPC report quashed the basis of CAG’s “loss theory” saying that the DoT believed that allotting extra equity for attracting FDI was fair practice among corporates. Further, the CBI wasn’t able to establish in its probe that the FDI policy applicable in the telecom sector had been breached.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read and Breaking News at the Quint, browse for more from news and politics

Topics:  CAG   2G Scam   M Kanimozhi 

ADVERTISEMENT
Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Quint Insider
25
100
200

or more

PREMIUM

3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Insider Benefits
Read More
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT
More News
×
×