Woman Techie Brutally Attacked With Iron Rod in Chennai’s IT Hub 

Police are investigating whether the attackers had tried to molest the 30-year-old techie on 13 February. 

2 min read
Image used for representational purpose.

A 30-year-old woman was allegedly hit on the head with an iron rod by unidentified persons in Chennai’s IT Corridor on 13 February.

Meena*(name changed), an employee of an IT company in Pallikarnai was reportedly returning home from work on her two-wheeler when she was struck on the head with an iron rod. After being hit, she was then dragged along the road by unidentified persons.

The incident took place at 2.30 am on Tuesday morning as she was travelling along the Thazhambur-Perumbakkam road. Meena reportedly lost balance and fell down on the road and began bleeding profusely.

While certain reports claim that her attackers had tried to molest Meena, police have denied this stating that they are still investigating the case.

Meena, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, has been admitted at a private hospital on OMR and is reportedly recovering from the heavy head injuries.

While the police has confirmed that the woman had been robbed, one TV news channel reported that the unidentified persons made away with gold jewellery and her mobile phone.

A police official closely investigating the case said that no case has been filed regarding the incident. “We don’t know what has happened. Only after the woman wakes up, we can file a case,” the official said.

In another incident, on 13 February, 2014, a woman working with TCS at the SIPCOT IT Park in Chennai’s Siruseri was allegedly raped and murdered by three migrant workers, who waylaid her near the campus.

She was reported missing after failing to return home from office that night. Her body was found on 22 February, less than 10 days after the crime occurred just metres away from the SIPCOT IT Park. Her killers were nabbed when they tried to use her ATM card.

Months later, in November 2014, a mahila court in Chengelpet sentenced all three to life imprisonment.

In August 2016, the Madras High Court confirmed the life sentence awarded by the trial court. The three accused were, however, acquitted of rape for lack of sufficient evidence.

(The story was originally published on The News Minute and has been republished with permission.)

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!