Who Was Vivek Tiwari, the Man Shot Dead by Lucknow Police

Vivek Tiwari is survived by his wife, Kalpana and two daughters. 

2 min read
Hindi Female

Vivek Tiwari, the unarmed man who was shot dead by a police constable in Lucknow late on Friday, 28 September night, was a manager at Apple India. Hailing from Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh, he was working with Apple in Lucknow, managing UP East Part 1, according to his Facebook profile. He had been holding that post since 2014.

However, the cop who fired the gun at Vivek has denied any such charge and said the bullet was “shot by mistake” at the unarmed man.

Police constable who fired the shot, Prashant Chaudhary, said:

“I didn’t shoot at him. The bullet was shot by mistake. He hit me with his car and drove it over me thrice with the intention to kill me. I demand that my FIR must be registered.”
Prashant Chaudhary, Police Constable

He has also proclaimed innocence. “It's being said that CM has said that our case will not be registered. Is there no value of our lives?” Chaudhary told ANI.

Tiwari, 38, had graduated from Kamla Nehru Institute of Technology (KNIT), Sultanpur in 1999. He then went on to pursue an MBA, graduating from Dewan Institute of Management Studies, Meerut in 2002.

Prior to his current employment at Apple, he was an employee at Samsung Electronics in Rajasthan.

Vivek Tiwari is survived by his wife, Kalpana and two daughters. 
Vivek with his wife Kalpana in a photo dated to 2015. 
(Photo Courtesy: Facebook/Vivek Tiwari)

On the night of 28 September, he was driving his vehicle through Lucknow’s Gomti Nagar area with a colleague, Sana, when he was shot in the neck by a police constable, who claims he acted in self-defence. He was rushed to Lohia Hospital but died while receiving treatment for his injury.

Tiwari is survived by his wife, Kalpana Tiwari and his two daughters. Speaking to the media, his wife recounted her last conversation with her husband, which took place at 1.30 am.

According to her, she had been waiting for him to return home till 2 am, after which she had started calling him, without any success. At around 3:15am, her call was finally answered and she was informed that her husband was being treated in the hospital, but that he was still alive. Only later did she find out he had died.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)


Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from news and india

Topics:  Shooting   Police   Lucknow 

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More