SP Split Ahead As Mulayam Expels Akhilesh, Ram Gopal For 6 Years
Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh rebelled against father by releasing his own list of 235 candidates for the 2017 polls.
- Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh expels Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav and party General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav for six years
- Akhilesh’s supporters raise slogans against Mulayam
- Mulayam says he will decide the next chief ministerial face of the party
- The expulsion comes a day after Akhilesh issues a parallel list of 235 candidates for UP polls
Samajwadi Party Spokesperson Resigns
Adding to the drama, spokesperson of the Samajwadi Party Juhi Singh resigned late on Friday to protest the removal of Akhilesh Yadav from the party.
Mulayam Should Explain Why He Imposed Akhilesh on UP After 2012 Polls: BJP
Soon after Akhilesh was expelled for six years from the party, BJP questioned Mulayam and said that Mulayam Singh should now answer as to why he "betrayed" the state by imposing his son after 2012 polls.
Akhilesh Yadav has let down the people of Uttar Pradesh with the all-round failures of his government. He has not fulfilled any promise. People are feeling betrayed. Now Mulayam Singh Yadav has expelled him from the party. He should answer as to why he imposed his son on the state and betrayed it.
Another prominent face for the BJP government in UP, Yogi Adityanath asked for the resignation of the chief minister saying that Akhilesh should resign immediately on moral grounds.
Constitutional Crisis In UP: Likely Scenarios
- If Akhilesh does not step down as the CM, a floor test is imminent.
- Akhilesh Yadav may go for a floor test to remain as CM and try to prove support of 203 MLAs.
- Akhilesh Yadav may get support from the Congress and RLD during the floor test.
- Samajwadi Party MLAs may elect another leader and Akhilesh will not remain as the CM.
- Rule of disqualification won’t be applicable in case the leader elected by the Samajwadi Party MLAs fail to prove majority on the floor of the house.
- Governor Ram Naik may recommend President’s Rule
Shivpal Issues Warning
Toughening its stand against the expelled duo of Ram Gopal and Akhilesh, the Samajwadi Party on Friday warned members and leaders of the party to stay away from the "emergency national convention" called by the former.
In a letter to party leaders, the party's Uttar Pradesh chief Shivpal Singh Yadav said the convention was unconstitutional and that they should not travel to the state capital for it or sign any papers with regard to it. He went on to state that anyone from the party who would be participating in the meeting will be considered as working against the party and will face action.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.