Gangrape Victim Produces Mutilated Ear As Evidence for FIR

She produced the mutilated piece of cartilage before superintendent of police (rural) Yashveer Singh.

2 min read
An anti-rape protest. Photo used for representational purpose.

A woman walked into the Aligarh Senior Superintendent of Police’s office on Thursday, 5 October, with a severed ear as a piece of evidence. She did so as a desperate measure, on failing to get an FIR registered on her gangrape complaint, reported Hindustan Times.

According to the HT report, she produced the mutilated piece of cartilage before Superintendent of Police (rural) Yashveer Singh, as the senior official was not present. She also complained that the police had not taken any action in her case even after two days.

Police Completed Formalities, but Did Not Lodge FIR Till She Produced the Mutilated Ear

Singh then ordered filing two FIRs – lodged by both the parties involved – in this case.

The woman said the police dropped by only to collect information. According to the HT report, the victim said when she went to the police station the next morning, the police completed a number of formalities but lodged no FIR.

The woman informed HT that she was sleeping with her children on Monday night, when four people from her neighbourhood came to her residence and raped her. When her husband, who was sleeping in a makeshift room outside the house, came to her rescue upon hearing the cries, he was assaulted as well.

In the chaos that ensued, the woman bit off a suspect’s ear.

The assaulters threatened the couple that there would be dire consequences if they told anybody about the incident.

4 Out of the 5 Have Been Arrested in Attempted Gangrape Case

In a different incident, five men, in Lucknow’s Mahilabad area, shot a woman for actively resisting their attempts to sexually assault her. The woman, a 19 year old BA student, was admitted at the trauma centre where she gave her statement against the five attackers.

The Police arrested four out of the five men and is on the lookout for the fifth, who too has been identified. The police has also denied that the four men were successful in raping her.

The survivor was shot on her nose. She has been declared out of danger by the trauma centre.

Liked this story? We'll send you more. Subscribe to The Quint's newsletter and get selected stories delivered to your inbox every day. Click to get started.

The Quint is available on Telegram & WhatsApp too, click to join.

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!