Unnao Survivor’s Family Wrote to CJI Asking for Probe Into Threats
In the letter dated 12 July, the survivor asked for a probe against the threats and intimidation by the accused.
The contents of a letter from Unnao rape survivor and her family to CJI Ranjan Gogoi have come to light after it was reported that a letter was sent to the CJI two weeks before the car crash that involved the survivor, her family members and her lawyer.
In the letter, dated 12 July 2019, the survivor urged an investigation against the threats and intimidation by the relatives of those accused in the rape case.
The Supreme Court has sought an explanation behind the delay in placing the letter before the CJI and it will be heard by the apex court on Thursday, 1 August.
According to the details of the letter, the attempt to threaten the family to compromise the rape case was made twice, earlier this month - on 7 July and 8 July.
‘Compromise or We’ll Drown You in Fake Cases’
The letter alleged that on 7 July, relatives of the two accused - Shashi Singh and Kuldeep Singh Sengar, along with two unknown people, told the survivor’s family that they have “bought the judge” and have gotten Sengar and Shashi Singh out on bail.
They threatened them to “compromise”, else their family will be drowned in fake cases. They also cited her uncle Mahesh Singh, who is currently lodged in Raebareli jail, as an “example” to make their point.
According to the letter, the threats translated to “we have bought the judge and got the bail of Sengar and Shashi Singh approved. We will drown you in fake cases and send you to jail and make sure you rot there. You have already seen the example of this in Mahesh Singh’s case. There is still time now, compromise with us.”
A day after this, Shashi Singh's husband Haripal Singh again visited the family and made the same threats of compromising or facing fake cases.
At the end of the letter, the survivor and her family asked for a separate investigation into the threats.
The CJI on Wednesday, 31 July, said that “unfortunately, the letter is yet to see the light of the day and newspapers flashed the news as if I have read it.” He also expressed concerns over the letter not reaching him on time.
According to information gathered by The Quint, a new instance of alleged police negligence has emerged in the Unnao rape case. The family of the Unnao rape survivor claims that they had sent 35 separate letters over the past year, informing the local police that there was a threat to their lives.
The ADG Police further said that an investigation will be launched into all alleged instances of harassment and threatening, and the perpetrators will be brought to justice.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.