ADVERTISEMENT

Students Who Missed NEET Due to Train Delay To Get a Second Chance

The decision was announced by Minister for HRD Prakash Javadekar on Monday.

Updated
India
2 min read
HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar addresses a press conference regarding NEET and JEE examinations, in New Delhi on Saturday.
i

A large number of students, estimated to be over 600, who had lost their chance to appear for the The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) on Sunday 5 May, after a train from north Karnataka to Bengaluru was delayed by seven hours will get a second chance to take the test.

A day after the debacle, Union Minister for Human Resources Development Prakash Javadekar tweeted saying the students will get another chance to take the exam. The decision comes after the state government and south-western railway approached the central government with a plea to allow re-examination.

What Happened on Sunday?

The Hampi Express (train no. 16591) travelling from north Karnataka to Bengaluru’s Yeshwantpur had several students coming to the capital for the medial entrance examination. The train, which was supposed to reach at 7 am in Bengaluru, only reached at 2.30 pm. By then, the examination was already underway and the gates had closed.

A south-western railway official, on the condition of anonymity, said that in the reserved coaches (six AC coaches and 10 Sleeper coaches) of the Hampi express, there were 35 people who were 18 years old and 30 passengers who were aged 19 and 20, on 4 May.

After several students raised objections to this error from the railways, Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy took up the issue.

On Monday, a meeting of the stakeholders was called by the Karnataka government and a request was sent to the central government demanding a re-examination for the students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fate of Students Who Missed Because of Change in Venue Unclear

The estimated number of students who have missed the NEET examination in Bengaluru on Sunday has been fluctuating between 400-600, since the government or other authorities are yet to release an official number.

In Bengaluru, there were several other students who missed their examination because the examination centre was changed at the last moment. The National The National Testing Agency (NTA) had changed four examination centres in Karnataka and put up a public notice on Thursday. However, for one centre, which was changed at the last minute, no notice was put up, alleged several parents.

According to a parent, who spoke to The Hindu, it was only after they reached the centre that they realised the location was changed, and it was 44 km away.

“We did not even get a message or mail that our examination centre had been shifted. Several students from other towns had no idea about this and found it difficult to reach the [new] examination centre,” Shivanna, one of the parents told The Hindu.

The number of the students who missed the examination due to the change of venue is said to be in the 100s. It remains unclear whether they will also be allowed to appear for the re-examination.  

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

ADVERTISEMENT
Published: 
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT