Seven-Year-Old Boy Dies As Mobile Phone Explodes While Charging

A class I boy in West Bengal died when a mobile phone, whose battery was being recharged, exploded suddenly at his home.

1 min read

A seven-year-old boy was killed when a mobile phone, whose battery was being recharged, exploded suddenly at his home in Chirudih village, in Barabazar (about 30 kms from Puruliya district), West Bengal.

Police said the incident took place when the boy went near the phone while its battery was being recharged and blew at it.

The phone exploded and the flames charred a part of his body.

Hearing his cries, the family members rushed to the room and doused the flame with water, police said.

The boy was rushed to hospital and was declared brought dead , police said. The phone was made in China.

In a similar incident on December 19, a 24-year-old man died after his mobile phone exploded while it was being charged. The accident happened in Korma village in Rajasthan.

Rajulal Gurjar, was using his mobile phone, while it was charging. Suddenly, the mobile battery exploded causing him severe burns on his chest and hands. Though he was rushed to the hospital, he died on the way, according to DNA.

Why do phones explode?

Charging puts pressure on the motherboard of the phone, using your phone while charging increases this pressure manifold. This causes the electronic components in some mobiles to explode. There is also certain malware or ‘bugs’, found in some Android-based smartphones, that can cause them to explode by exerting extra pressure on the motherboard during charging, according the Times of India.

Here is a live video of a cell phone battery exploding while it was charging.

(With Inputs from PTI).

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
Read More