ADVERTISEMENT

Class 8 Student ODs on Iron Pills Handed out by Government School

A 14-year-old girl consumed an entire vial of 16 iron tablets that caused liver failure, leading to her death.

Updated
India
1 min read


A 14-year-old student of a government school in Bharat Nagar area of Delhi allegedly overdosed on a vial of iron tablets. (Photo: iStockphoto)

A 14-year-old student of a government school in Bharat Nagar area of Delhi allegedly overdosed on a vial of iron tablets handed to her by her school, reports The Times of India. The victim’s parents have filed a complaint against the school for administering an entire bottle of those pills without informing them.

All class 8 students of Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya are given iron tablets from the school. Sapna, the victim, was given a bottle containing 16 tablets. When a friend challenged her to eat all the tablets in one go, Sapna consumed them all. By evening of the same day, she took ill and was admitted to a hospital.

Sapna succumbed on Sunday due to liver fever.

The girl was admitted with ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract. She was passing blood in stool and subsequently developed jaundice which led to liver failure.
Doctor who attended to Sapna

Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia has ordered an inquiry into the matter and a probe has been initiated under Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

ADVERTISEMENT
Published: 
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT