Centre Decides to Stop India’s Share of Water to Pak: Gadkari

MHA has approved air travel for all personnel of CAPF, a move that will benefit 780,000 personnel.

Updated21 Feb 2019, 06:50 PM IST
India
28 min read

Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday, 21 February, announced that the government has decided to hold India’s share of water to Pakistan.

Gadkari’s tweet comes a week after at least 40 CRPF personnel were killed in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama terror attack. However, the project’s implementation was already approved in December 2018.

“We will divert water from Eastern rivers and supply it to our people in Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab," Nitin Gadkari said in a series of tweets.

Earlier today, Congress and the BJP traded barbs, blaming each other for politicising the attack.

Meanwhile, NIA on Wednesday took over the Pulwama attack probe and re-registered the case. MHA had on Tuesday transferred the case to the NIA.

Snapshot
  • NIA has re-registered the case and formed a team to investigate the terror strike, an NIA spokesperson said
  • Pakistan PM Imran Khan had, on Tuesday, said the Indian government should engage in talks and discussion and warned that Pakistan will retaliate if India considers attack.
  • On 18 Feb, three Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists including the suspected mastermind of the Pulwama attack were gunned down in an encounter
  • Four army men, including a Major, and one civilian were also killed
  • 40 CRPF personnel were killed after a car carrying about 350 kg of explosives hit a CRPF convoy of 78 vehicles on 14 February

Liked this story? We'll send you more. Subscribe to The Quint's newsletter and get selected stories delivered to your inbox every day. Click to get started.

The Quint is available on Telegram & WhatsApp too, click to join.

3:15 AM, 18 Feb
KEY EVENT

Four Army Men Killed in Encounter in J&K's Pulwama

Four Army men, including a Major, were killed in an encounter that broke out between terrorists and security forces in Pinglan area of Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama on Monday, 18 February.

The terrorists are suspected to belong to Pakistan-based outfit Jaish-e-Mohammmed, which claimed responsibility for the suicide bomb attack on a CRPF convoy last week.

3:30 AM, 18 Feb

Civilian Also Killed in Pulwama Encounter: Reports

According to reports, a civilian has also been killed in the Pulwama encounter.

4:17 AM, 18 Feb

Firing Resumes at Encounter Site: Report

According to reports, firing has resumed at the encounter site in Pulwama as the area is under cordon. The operation is still on.

4:17 AM, 18 Feb
KEY EVENT

Two Terrorists Believed to Be Trapped at Pulwama Encounter Site

A Pakistan-based terrorist Kamran and a local named Hilal are believed to be trapped at the encounter site in Pulwama, reported CNN-News18.


Published: 18 Feb 2019, 03:25 AM IST
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!