PM Modi’s Visit to the US: Here’s the Schedule
Video Editor: Purnendu Pritam
Video Producer: Anubhav Mishra
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit the United States from 21 September to 27 September to address the annual session of the United Nations General Assembly and to attend the ‘Howdy, Modi!’ event in Houston, Texas on 22 September.
This will be his first US visit after winning a second term as prime minister.
The White House has announced that Trump would join Modi at the mega Houston rally as a "special gesture" by the US President to underscore the special bond between the two countries.
Here’s the prime minister’s schedule on his US visit:
- A late landing in Houston, Texas.
- Roundtable conference with chief executives of energy sector companies such as BP, Exxon Mobil and Becker Hewes.
- ‘Howdy, Modi!’ – the first time that Trump and Modi will be sharing a stage together. Several senior members of Democratic leadership will also be present.
- Interactive session with members of the US Congress.
- Climate Summit at forenoon, in which PM Modi is an early speaker.
- Universal health coverage summit: Ayushmann Bharat to be showcased as the world's largest healthcare initiative.
- PM Modi is invited to speak at the ‘leaders' dialogue on strategic responses to terrorist and violent extremist narratives’, jointly hosted by King of Jordan, New Zealand PM, French President and UN Secretary General. Other speakers include Presidents of Kenya and Indonesia and the German Chancellor.
- Lunch hosted by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
- 'Leadership Matters: The Relevance of Gandhi in Contemporary Times' (late afternoon). Event to commemorate 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at UN.
- PM Modi will be presented with an award by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation at the Lincoln Centre for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan.
- Bilateral meeting: India-Pacific Island states leaders’ meeting: Modi to co-chair meeting with 12 leaders of pacific island states.
- Keynote address Opening Plenary at Bloomberg Global Business Forum.
- Bilateral meeting: India-Caricom leaders' meeting with 14 members of Caribbean community.
- Engagements with various world leaders
- PM will address UN General Assembly for first time since 2014.
- He will depart from the US at forenoon, right after the address.
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated )