Error in Your Pan Card? Here’s How You Can Fix It
The PAN card is needed for services like applying for loans, opening a bank account, applying for a passport etc.
The Quint DAILY
For impactful stories you just can’t miss
The Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit unique alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department, and is an important identity card for both citizens and the government.
Its uses are multifold for services like applying for loans, opening a bank account, applying for a passport and much more. So it is imperative that the card itself is accurate or it will adversely affect practices like paying tax and filing for income tax return, among other things.
Steps to Correct an Error in Your Pan Card
- Visit the official website and click on ‘Application Type’.
- From the drop-down menu, click on ‘Changes or Correction in Existing PAN card’.
- After filling in the details you will be redirected to the relevant page after you have filled out all the details.
- A token number for your correction request will be generated and sent to you via email.
- Check the ‘Submit scanned images through e-Sign’ option on the top of the page. Enter the PAN card details that you want to correct.
- Carefully fill out the details of the form.
- After filling the form, you will be asked to upload your identity, age and residence proof.
- Go through the details before saving the form to avoid any other errors.
- After checking your details, the next step would be to make the payment. For Indian residents the fee is Rs 110 and Rs 1,020 for those having an address outside India. The DD should be in the name of ‘NSDL-PAN’, payable in Mumbai.
- Download the form from the website and fill in the details.
- You can do so by clicking here.
- The completed form, along with letter should be submitted at the nearest NSDL collection centre, along with a letter to Jurisdiction Assessing Officer
It is important to keep in mind that within 15 days of submitting the online form, the required documents and signed acknowledgment should reach NSDL, reported News 18.
Additionally, the PAN correction form is used for many reasons, like to make a correction or the reissue of the card so make sure the right option is checked.
(With inputs from News 18)
(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)
Read and Breaking News at the Quint, browse for more from news and india
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.