Nagrota Terror Attack: Here’s What You Need to Know
The attack on an army camp in Nagrota martyred seven army personnel, including two Major-rank officers.
Jammu region was rocked by two terror attacks on Tuesday in which seven army personnel, including two Major-rank officers, were killed and eight other security men, including a BSF DIG, were injured, before six heavily-armed terrorists were eliminated in separate fierce encounters.
In one incident, a group of heavily-armed terrorists in police uniform stormed an army unit in Nagrota, about three kms from the Corps headquarters on the outskirts of Jammu city, triggering an intense gun-battle that lasted for hours.
Here’s what you need to know about how the attack played out.
Pervez Musharraf, in an interview said that it wasn't terrorist who attacked the army camp in Nagrota and went on to say that it was the unresolved issues in Kashmir that caused the attack. He also said that he didn't consider Hafiz Saeed to be a terrorist. (CNN News18)
Retired Army Vice Chief Lieutenant General Philip Campose spoke to CNN News18 and said that the tactics used by terrorists has been the same since 1990s. He also mentioned that the government needs to bring in technology into the armed forces.
He said that he was a part of the over-seeing army establishments and admitted that there are a lot of loopholes in the system.
He suggested that the local authorities and the army needed to be on the same page.
He repeatedly told India needs to come up with a strategic plan to tackle terrorism and Pakistan.
- It was suspected that the terrorists had help from some insiders and the local police might also have been involved. (CNN News18)
- Documents discovered from the site of the Nagrota terror attack reportedly reveal that the attack could have been carried out by the Jaish-e-Mohammed’s Afzal squad. The notes allegedly say “Revenge for Afzal Guru.” (Times Now)
- Army Chief General Dalbir Singh is on his way to Nagrota to take stock of the situation. He is likely to attend the wreath laying ceremony of the seven soldiers, who died on Tuesday. (Hindustan Times)
- Security personnel resumed combing operations on Wednesday morning after nearly 12 hours of gunfight with the militants, who were holed up in the officers’ mess complex on Tuesday. (ANI)
- According to intelligence services, at least one Lashkar-e-Taiba cell had been active in the Valley, which had been plotting the attack at least two weeks in advance. (The Indian Express)
- Two groups of the Lashkar-e-Taiba may have been involved in the twin attacks. According to army sources, preliminary investigation suggested that the two groups crossed into Jammu on Monday night to carry out these attacks. (The Hindu)
- The strikes in Nagrota and Samba coincided with the day Pakistan’s new Chief of Army, General Qamar Javed Bajwa took office. Harsha Kakar, a retired Indian Army officer said, the strikes on the day he assumes his appointment could also be a message that he would follow his predecessor, Gen Raheel Sharif, in every way. (The Quint)
- The army successfully freed all hostages – including 12 soldiers, two ladies and two children. An officer and two jawans lost their lives during the rescue operation. (Firstpost)
- The wives of two army officers staying in the family quarters helped avert a major hostage crisis. They blocked the entry to their quarters with household items, making it difficult for the terrorists to break into the houses. (PTI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.