Nagrota Attack: Bravery of Soldiers’ Wives Averted Hostage Crisis

Two women, whose soldier husbands were on night duty, blocked the terrorists’ entry into their homes.

2 min read
Army personnel on the vigil during an encounter at Army camp in Nagrota in Jammu on Tuesday, 29 November 2016. (Photo: PTI)

Bravery of the wives of two army officers who were staying in the family quarters helped in averting a major hostage crisis during the encounter that took place in Nagrota area of Jammu on Tuesday.

Soon after the heavily armed terrorists disguised in police uniform entered an army unit located within 3 kms from the headquarters of the 16 Corps, they wanted to enter the family quarters where they could take the families of the soldiers and officers hostage.

However, due to the bravery of these two women, who were staying in the family quarters along with their newborns, the plans of the terrorists could not materialise.


Brave Women Blocked the Terrorists’ Entry With Household Items

An army officer privy to the encounter said:

The wives of the two army officers, who were on night duty when the encounter broke out, displayed exemplary courage as they blocked the entry of their quarters with all the household items, making it difficult for the terrorists to break into the houses.

Had the women not shown this alertness, the terrorists would have been able to take them hostage and would have succeeded in causing huge damage to the army and the families, he said.

The terrorists entered two buildings which were occupied by officers, families and men. This led to a hostage-like situation. The situation was very quickly contained and thereafter, in a deliberate operation all were successfully rescued, which included 12 soldiers, two women and two babies.
Lt Colonel Manish Mehta, Defence Spokesman

The two babies rescued are 18 months and two months old, the officer said. However, in the rescue attempt two officer and two jawans sacrificed their lives, the spokesman said.

Sanitisation Operations Suspended for the Night

He said the bodies of three terrorists have been recovered and operations were in progress to sanitise the complete area.

The terrorists forced their entry into the Officers Mess complex by throwing grenades and firing at the sentries. In the initial counter action, one officer and three soldiers of the Army were martyred.
Lt Colonel Manish Mehta, Defence Spokesman

The Army has not called off the operation but suspended it as they want to be fully sure that the area has been completely sanitised.

"The operation is going on, we have suspended it for the night, but the area has been placed under tight cordon, the Army does not want to take any risk and we will resume the operations with the first light of the morning," the spokesman said.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!