Massive Protests in Delhi, Chandigarh Against Kathua & Unnao Rapes
The Kathua and Unnao rape cases have shaken the collective conscience of India much like the Nirbhaya case of 2012.
Hundreds of people gathered at Delhi’s Parliament Street on Sunday, 15 April, to protest against the incidents of rape in Kathua and Unnao. The rape cases have shaken the collective conscience of the nation in the last few days, much like the Nirbhaya case of 2012.
Apart from the national capital, protests have also taken place in Mumbai, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Chandigarh and Chennai.
- On Sunday, 15 April, hundreds of people gathered at Delhi’s Parliament Street to demand justice for the rape victims
- Citizens in Chandigarh too came together to protest against the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua
- The protests erupting over the rapes in Kathua and Unnao reached Chennai on 14 April
- Protests also took place in Kolkata, where police reportedly detained protesters
- In solidarity with the protesters in Delhi, Mumbai saw people gathering at Azad Maidan on 13 April
- On 12 April, Congress president Rahul Gandhi led a midnight vigil protesting against the incidents of rape
Candlelight March in UP's Moradabad
The All India Mahila Sanskritik Sangathan took out a candlelight march on Sunday in UP’s Moradabad demanding justice for the victims in the Kathua and Unnao rape cases.
Chandigarh Demands Justice
Several people on Sunday, 15 March, joined a protest called by civil organisations in Chandigarh to seek justice for an eight-year-old-girl, who was raped and killed in Jammu and Kashmir's Kathua district, reported PTI.
The protest was organised by the "Concerned Lawyers of Chandigarh" and the "Chandigarh Help Group" at Sector 17 Plaza.
"We are demanding justice for the girl who was raped and killed in Kathua," city-based advocate and member of the Concerned Lawyers of Chandigarh, Maninder Pal Singh Dhindsa, told PTI.
People carried placards having slogans such as "no more shielding of rapist", "human rights are not optional", and "silence is betrayal, speak up", and formed humans chains.
"Those behind this horrendous crime should be punished and the government should ensure that nobody influences this case in any way," he said.
Visuals from The Delhi Protest Site
The roads are jam-packed, as people have showed up in large numbers at the Parliament Street in the national capital.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.