Mumbai Building Collapse: Search Ops Called off, Death Toll at 13
Catch all the live updates of the Dongri building collapse in Mumbai here.
Catch all the live updates of the Dongri building collapse in Mumbai here.(Photo: PTI)

Mumbai Building Collapse: Search Ops Called off, Death Toll at 13

The Maharashtra Housing Area Development Authority (MHADA) on Thursday, 18 July, initiated the process to demolish the dilapidated Kesarbai building in Dongri area, a portion of which collapsed on Tuesday, killing 13 people.

The search and rescue operation for survivors was called off on Wednesday, 17 July, officials said. No more survivors were found at the site of the building crash located in a congested lane in south Mumbai, they added.

Condoling the loss of lives in the tragedy, PM Narendra Modi said, “Collapse of a building in Mumbai’s Dongri is anguishing”.

Multiple agencies, including the NDRF, had launched a search and rescue operation to locate survivors under the debris.

Mumbai Collapsing – Track The Quint’s coverage of Mumbai’s collapsing infrastructure here.

Snapshotclose

  • A total of 22 people were taken out from the crash site, of which 13 died, and nine were injured
  • Six men, four women and three children succumbed to injuries, while two men, five women and two children are admitted in the hospital
  • The 100-year-old building was owned by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA)
  • The BMC has claimed that it had classified the building in the ‘C1 category’ back in 2017

(The Quint is now available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

NEWEST FIRSTOLDEST FIRST
(3) NEW UPDATES

Building Collapses in Mumbai's Dongri

At least 40 people are feared trapped as a four-storey building collapsed in Mumbai’s Dongri area, on Tuesday, 16 July.

A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has rushed to the building collapse site.

Fire tenders have also been rushed to the site.

Also Read : Mumbai and Its Terrible Track Record of Collapsing Buildings

Rescue Operations Underway

KEY EVENT

2 Dead, 5 Rescued in Mumbai Building Collapse

At least two people have died and five have been rescued so far after the building collapse in Mumbai's Dongri area, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Disaster Management Cell confirmed.

BMC Opens Shelter After Building Collapse

The BMC has opened a shelter at the Imamwada Municipal Secondary Girls' School after the building collapse in Dongri, the chief public relations officer (CPRO) of the corporation said.

Dongri Building Collapse: Locals Join Rescue Effort

After the building collapse, scores of locals joined in the rescue effort, forming a human chain to help remove the debris brick by brick and picking up slabs of concrete to locate those buried. Television visuals showed a young child being rescued and handed over to workers.

Ambulances could not reach the site and had to be parked around 50 metres away.

Will Take Action Against Those Responsible for Lapses: MHADA

The Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA), which had given the building that collapsed in Mumbai on Tuesday to a private builder for re-development, said action would be taken against those responsible for any lacunae.

MHADA Chairman Uday Samant said the building, located in Dongri area, was under their jurisdiction but given to a private builder for re-development.

"If the developer has delayed re-development of the collapsed building, then he will face action. If some MHADA officials are responsible for the delay in its development, then they will also face strict action," he said.

Will Take Action Against Perpetrators After Investigation: Maha CM Fadnavis

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that action will be taken against those responsible for the building collapse, following investigation.

“Right now our main focus is to save the families, following which a thorough investigation will be done.”
Devendra Fadnavis, Maharashtra CM

Death Toll Rises to 12

Twelve persons were killed after a four-storey residential building collapsed in south Mumbai's congested Dongri area Tuesday, a Maharashtra minister said, reported PTI.

About 40 to 50 people are feared trapped under the debris, civic officials said.

Twelve people were killed after the 'Kesarbai' building, located in a bustling narrow lane in Tandel Street of Dongri area of south Mumbai, crashed, housing minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil said.

BMC Had Warned MHADA 2 Years Ago

A structural audit conducted on the Kesarbai building that collapsed in Dongri stated that the building needs to be evacuated for demolition at the earliest.

In a notice sent by the BMC to the MHADA, the civic body stated that they had received the audit report from a religious Trust named M/S Hirabai Rahimbai Aloo Paroo and Bai Kesarbai Dharamsay Khakoo.

The civic body also states that since the building is a cessed property, the BMC will not be responsible in the event of any mishap.

Also Read : Mumbai Building Collapse: BMC Advised Evacuation 2 Years Ago

Humble Request to Citizens to Stay Away From Collapse Site: Mumbai Police

Mumbai Police requested citizens to stay away from the site of the collapse in Dongri to facilitate effective rescue operations by authorities.

Police Counters Claim of Death Toll, Says 3 Dead So Far

Although initial reports said the death toll rose to 12, Mumbai Police countered the claim and said there’s been no such confirmation from the hospital yet.

Collapse of a Building in Mumbai’s Dongri Is Anguishing: PM Narendra Modi

Expressing condolences for the kin of those who lost their lives in the Mumbai building collapse, PM Narendra Modi, according to ANI, said, “Collapse of a building in Mumbai’s Dongri is anguishing”.

He added, “I hope the injured recover soon. Maharashtra Government, NDRF and local authorities are working on rescue operations & assisting those in need.”

Death Toll Rises to 4

Four people have been killed so far in the tragic accident, according to Mumbai Police.

Injured Have Been Taken to Mumbai's JJ Hospital

(Photo: Ankita Sinha/The Quint)

Mumbai Police Trying its Best to Enable Smooth Rescue Operation: CP

Building Owner, Daughter Killed in the Collapse

The owner of the Kesarbai building, Abdul Sattar, and his daughter also died in the collapse on Tuesday, 16 July, morning. Sattar lived on the third floor with his family.

Death Toll Rises to 5

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 5.

'Prayers for Early Recovery of Those Injured': Home Minister Amit Shah

Home Minister Amit Shah condoled the building collapse in Mumbai and tweeted saying the state government, NDRF and local authorities are doing their best to assist people in need.

Mumbai Residents Angry With Authorities For 'Negligence'

Death Toll Reaches 7

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse has gone up to 7, reported ANI.

Collapsed Building Was Unauthorised Construction, Says MHADA

The Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) claimed on Tuesday evening that the four-storey building in south Mumbai's Dongri area which collapsed earlier in the day was unauthorised.

"MHADA's repair and reconstruction board clarifies that its cessed property 25/C Kesarbai building is not the one that collapsed this morning," it said in a statement.

"In fact, an unauthorised construction erected behind that building is the one that crashed," said Vaishali Gadpale, chief PRO, MHADA.

(Photo: The Quint)

Death Toll Rises to 11; More Than 40 Still Trapped

The National Disaster Response Force said six men, four women and a child were killed while eight were injured.

The civic officials said that more than 40 people are trapped under the debris since the collapse of the building, reported PTI.

Death Toll Rises to 13

The death toll has risen to 13 in the Kesarbhai building collapse in Dongri, which occurred on Tuesday, 16 July, according to the NDRF. Nine people have reportedly been injured in the incident, so far.

Mumbai fire brigade chief PS Rahangdale said in a statement on Wednesday that two kids - one aged between six-eight and the other aged about four - were rescued from under the debris by the firefighters, but later declared dead in the hospital.

"Both kids were sent to Sir JJ hospital in 108 Ambulance, but they were declared dead," Rahangdale said, adding one firefighter was also injured in the line of duty.

Local MLA Amin Patel to Meet CM Devendra Fadnavis Today

Local MLA Amin Patel will meet Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Wednesday afternoon to demand a hefty compensation and speedy rehabilitation for the victims, news agency PTI reported.

The state government has so far not announced compensation to the victims.

NDRF Carries out Search Ops with Help of Sniffer Dogs

The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is carrying out the search operation at the Kesarbhai building collapse site with the help of sniffer dogs.

Death Toll Rises to 14

The death toll in the Kesarbai building collapse has risen to 14, reports ANI, quoting the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).

Also Read : Mumbai Building Collapse: Tweeple Offer Prayers for the Victims

CM Devendra Fadnavis Announces Compensation of Rs 5 Lakh

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh for the next of kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured in the building collapse.

All medical expenses of the injured will be borne by the state government, he said.

9 Injured Persons Undergoing Treatment at JJ Hospital

The search and rescue operations are still going on at the collapse site. So far, 22 people have been pulled out of the rubble. The nine injured persons are being treated inside the JJ hospital, reports Ankita Sinha.

CM Devendra Fadnavis Calls Meeting to Discuss Building Collapse

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has called a meeting to discuss Tuesday's building collapse in Dongri.

Housing Minister RV Patil and officers from BMC , MHADA and other departments will attend the meeting, reports ANI.

KEY EVENT

Mumbai Building Collapse Rescue Called off, Death Toll at 14

The authorities in Mumbai said on Wednesday, 17 July, that the rescue operation for the Kesarbhai building collapse incident in Dongri has been called off. The death toll on Wednesday stood at 14 while nine people have been injured, ANI reported.

NDRF Issues Correction: Death Toll 13

The NDRF on Wednesday, issued a correction saying the death toll in the Kesarbhai building collapse incident stood at 13 and not 14. Meanwhile, nine were reported injured in the incident.

MHADA Initiates Process to Raze Dilapidated Kesarbai Building

The Maharashtra Housing Area Development Authority (MHADA) has initiated the process to demolish the dilapidated Kesarbai building in Dongri area.

The building has got weakened and needs to be pulled down immediately, a MHADA official told news agency PTI on Thursday, 18 July.

"Before demolishing the rickety building, we need to follow certain procedure and the first step is cancelling the NOC given to the building's owner for its redevelopment...and we have started this procedure," Vinod Ghosalkar, chairman of the repair board of MHADA, told PTI.

BMC Suspends Assistant Municipal Commissioner Vivek Rahi

The BMC has suspended Assistant Municipal Commissioner Vivek Rahi in connection with the building collapse in Dongri area, reports CNNNews18.

Follow our India section for more stories.

    Also Watch

    Loading...