LS Polls 2019 in Numbers: Key Voter Stats You Should Know
Announcing the dates for the upcoming General elections, the biggest electoral exercise India will witness in 2019, the Election Commission of India (EC) on Sunday, 10 March, said that the country has 90 crore eligible voters this year.
Read all the live updates on EC’s announcement for 2019 polls here.
Here are the important voter stats:
- Around 900 million people will vote in India in 2019 General elections in 543 Lok Sabha constituencies.
- Around 84.3 million new voters in India's 2019 national elections are eligible to vote.
- India has 7 crore new voters compared to 2014 Lok Sabha polls, EC’s data confirms.
- 100% VVPAT deployment by EC across all polling stations. A total of 17.4 lakh VVPAT units will be used during polling this year.
- About 900 million electorates are eligible to vote in this Lok Sabha election. 15 million in 18-19 age cohorts: Election Commission of India
- Approximately 10 lakh polling stations this time as opposed to 9lakh polling stations in 2014.
- In the first phase, 91 constituencies will vote, 97 constituencies in the second phase, 115 constituencies in the third, 71 in fourth phase, 51 in fifth phase, 59 in sixth and 59 in the seventh phase.
Lok Sabha elections will begin on 11 April and polling will be held over seven phases through to 19 May, followed by counting on 23 May, the Election Commission announced on Sunday.
Assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal, Odisha and Sikkim will also be held simultaneously, the Election Commission said.
However, elections for the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, which was dissolved after the ruling coalition of the BJP and the PDP fell apart, will not be held along with the Lok Sabha polls.
Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora said the model code of conduct would come into immediate effect from Sunday and 10 lakhs polling stations would be set up this time as against about nine lakhs in 2014.
(With inputs from PTI)
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated )