- ‘Govindas’ across Maharashtra seemed undeterred by the SC order that prohibited ‘Dahi Handi’ human pyramids of over 20 feet.
- Raj Thackeray’s MNS openly flouted the norm and created a 40-foot Dahi Handi pyramid in Thane.
- Govindas in other parts of the state waved black flags and climbed on ladders to break the handis in protest.
- This year saw Maharashtra’s first visually impaired team of Govindas.
- MNS leaders are likely to be arrested on Friday by the Mumbai Police.
- 14 Govindas were injured and taken to the hospital of whom 10 have been discharged.
14 Govindas Injured During Dahi Handi Festivities
As the Supreme Court ruling was flouted, 14 govindas were injured and taken to the hospital of whom 10 have been discharged.
Shades of Defiance
The government is unlikely to act against the handi organisers and those protesting by waving flags and using ladders as it will not want to be seen as anti-Hindu.
Published: 25 Aug 2016, 11:14 AM IST