IRCTC E-Ticket Cancellation: Process, Category-Wise Charges & More
Cancellations can be made only through the IRCTC as no such requests are entertained at the railway counters.
The Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), the ticketing arm of the Indian Railways, offers the facility of cancelling online bookings for trains, catering, and other such services.
An individual can cancel e-tickets before the chart preparation of the train. However, cancellations can be made only through the IRCTC website/app as no such requests are entertained at the railway counters.
For train starting up to 12 noon the chart preparation is usually done on the previous night. All an individual needs to do is log on to www.irctc.co.in and go to the "Booked Tickets" link where he/she can initiate the cancellation by selecting the passengers. Upon confirmation of cancellation, the refund is credited back to the account used for booking the e-ticket(s) usually within 7-8 business days.
In case of partial cancellation of ticket, a fresh e-reservation slip (Electronic Reservation Slip) needs to be printed separately.
Here is a step-wise guide on the procedure for cancelling of e-tickets:
Cancellation of E-Ticket - A Step-Wise Guide
- Visit the official website of the IRCTC at www.irctc.co.in
- Enter your User ID and Password, and then fill the Captcha field.
- On the homepage, go the 'My Transactions' tab.
- Click on the 'Booked Ticket History' link on the menu bar.
- Select the ticket to be cancelled, and then click on the 'Go For Cancellation' option.
- In case of partial cancellation, take a printout of the ERS for the passengers continuing their journey as a fresh Electronic Reservation Slip needs to be carried by the Passenger.
E-Tickets Cancellation: Category/ Class-Wise Charges
If a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, the following cancellation charges (per passenger) apply:
- Rs 240 for AC First Class/Executive Class
- Rs 200 for AC 2 Tier/First Class
- Rs 180 for AC 3 Tier/AC Chair car/ AC 3 Economy
- Rs 120 for Sleeper Class
- Rs 60 for Second Class.
If a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, cancellation charges applicable are 25 percent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate.
If a confirmed ticket is cancelled less than 12 hours and upto four hours before the scheduled departure of the train/upto chart preparation, which is earlier, 50 percent of the fare is charged as the cancellation fee subject to the minimum cancellation charges.
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.