LAC Standoff: Ninth Round of Indo-China Peace Talks ‘Constructive’
The Indian delegation, led by Lt Gen Menon, included Naveen Srivastava, MEA’s Additional Secretary (East Asia).
The ninth round of India China Corps Commander level talks which concluded on Monday, 25 January, were "positive, practical and constructive," with both sides agreeing to "push for an early disengagement of frontline troops," the government said in a statement.
"The two sides agreed that this round of meeting was positive, practical and constructive, which further enhanced mutual trust and understanding. The two sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops. They also agreed to follow the important consensus of their state leaders, maintain the good momentum of dialogue and negotiation," the government said in its statement.
The tenth round will be held at an earlier date to jointly maintain peace.
“The two sides agreed to continue their effective efforts in ensuring the restraint of the frontline troops, stabilise and control the situation along the LAC in the Western Sector of the China-India border, and jointly maintain peace and tranquility," the statement said.
Meeting Went On For 15 Hrs
The meeting, according to ANI, that had started at 11 am at Moldo opposite Chushul in the eastern Ladakh sector, reportedly went on for more than 15 hours.
The Indian delegation was led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, XIV Corps Commander, which is responsible for the LAC in eastern Ladakh, and included Naveen Srivastava, Additional Secretary (East Asia) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
This is the fourth time Srivastava is part of the military discussions, reported The Indian Express.
Major General Liu Lin, Commander of the South Xinjiang Military Region, led the Chinese delegation.
This meeting reportedly took place after a gap of two-and-a-half months.
The standoff between the two countries began in May 2020 and has not yet found a resolution, with 50,000 troops deployed on each side, facing steep winter weather.
The talks took place after Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, in an interview to Times Now, said that India will not withdraw troops until China does.
“Reduction in the number of troops won't happen. India won't reduce troops deployment unless China initiates the process,” he told Times Now.
The previous round of discussions were held on 6 November 2020.
While the eighth round of talks had ended in a deadlock, both countries agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through military and diplomatic channels, and to take forward the discussions, push for the settlement of other outstanding issues, so as to jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas.
Earlier this month, Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane had said that the force is ready for a long haul along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), while hoping for an amicable solution in its nine-month-long conflict with the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
“We are prepared to hold our ground where we are for as long as it takes to achieve our national goals and interest,” he had said, as quoted by IANS.
On 30 August 2020, India had occupied critical mountain heights on the southern bank of the Pangong Lake like Rechin La, Rezang La, Mukpari, and Tabletop that were unmanned till now.
India has also made some deployments near Blacktop also after the Chinese tried to make a provocative military move.
Now, dominance at these 13 peaks allow India to dominate the Spangur Gap under Chinese control and the Moldo garrison on the Chinese side.
(With inputs from ANI and The Indian Express)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.