Army Hands Over Surgical Strike Video but Centre Won’t Release It
Pakistan army and the government has denied India’s claim that it carried out surgical strikes across the border.
Amid increased calls by Opposition parties to release credible video evidence of the 29 September surgical strikes in PoK, Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday said the government will not be affected by such demands.
There is no need to respond to such irresponsible comments and demands. Fortunately, even the Congress has realised its mistake and they have distanced themselves from the comments made by some of its leaders. The AAP also made it very clear. That being the case, I don’t think any Indian citizen doubts the credentials of the commitment of our Indian Army.M Venkaiah Naidu, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister
Naidu, speaking to the reporters, added that the entire world and the nation had acknowledged the surgical strikes, so there was no need to give any proof.
Indian Army Gives Approval for Releasing Video Proof
Earlier on Wednesday, reports emerged that the Indian Army has decided to put an end to the confusion by giving its approval to the Government of India to release the footage of the sensitive operation, reports The Economic Times.
The report reveals that top Army officers, speaking off record, said that the Army is keen to end the discussion by releasing evidence that will answer those alleging the the military never carried out any strikes across the border.
The Army with this move wants to bring an end to the Pakistani propaganda, which debunks the Army’s claims, thus showing it in poor light.
The Pakistani army and the government has denied India’s claim that it carried out surgical strikes across the border, claiming that Indian troops only violated ceasefire, killing two of their soldiers.
Along with Pakistan, politicians like the Congress’ Sanjay Nirupam, P Chidambaram and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal have urged the government to give proof of surgical strike.
The Army, and its top strategists have, however, said that it has ample evidence to show the cross-border strikes were highly effective. There’s video footage as well as photographs, shot by both ground troops and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that were deployed to monitor the operation.
There is no doubt at all that the strikes inflicted heavy damage. Proof is available with the government that clearly shows our troops engaging the targets effectively.Government source to The Economic Times
The Decision Now Lies With the Government
The report adds that government sources speaking off the record suggest that the Centre will not take any decision in haste, and the call on releasing the visuals will only be taken after factoring in the likely Pakistani response.
The government is greatly concerned about escalating the matter and putting the Pakistani government in a corner by making the video public.
(With Inputs from ANI, The Economic Times)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.