Desktop vs Phone: India Tops List of Nations Using Net on Mobiles

Digital India has 400 percent more mobile users than desktop users.

2 min read
Desktop vs Phone: India Tops List of Nations Using Net on Mobiles

The Quint DAILY

For impactful stories you just can’t miss

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy

Out of all the time Indians spent on Internet in 2017, around 90 percent was spent on a mobile phone, which is the highest in the world, reported The Times of India.

The report, sourcing data from analytics company Comscore, said the global average of mobile-only users was somewhere around 30 percent.

Among other countries which topped the list of spending their digital minutes on phone were Indonesia (87 percent), Mexico (80 percent), and Argentina (77 percent).


With reduced costs and fall in data prices, the usage of smartphones in the market have grown exponentially, the report said.

An Indian, on average, spent about 3,000 minutes or 50 hours on the phone in comparison to 1,200 minutes on the desktop, according to The Times of India’s report.


The report, quoting Comscore, said India had 400 percent more unique users than desktop users which means the boost to new digital audience in the country was going in the right direction.

Comscore, according to TOI, noted that while Indians were searching for jobs on mobile, they were going back to desktop for their queries about health services (medical insurance or hospital search). The report also said Indians followed a global trend of spending time on phone for instant messaging and social media browsing.

According to the data cited by TOI, India also topped the list for WhatsApp usage on a global scale, with spending almost 98 percent of the total time spent on messaging apps on WhatsApp. The rest of the 2 percent was spent on Facebook Messenger.

The theme of digital consolidation has emerged recently. More than half of the markets demonstrated a positive year-on-year change in the reach of mobile apps. India witnessed a 14 percent hike in mobile app reach, and will continue to grow.

(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to and hit Send.)

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read and Breaking News at the Quint, browse for more from news and india

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
More News