Gujarat Local Body Polls: PM Modi Thanks State as BJP Wins Big
In 2015, the BJP had won 391 out of the 576 seats, while the Congress had won 174.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday, 23 February, marched towards a big win in the Gujarat local body polls, as it bagged 409 of the 474 seats, where results have been declared so far, and won the Surat Municipal Corporation polls by picking up 93 out of the 120 seats.
Counting is underway for elections in six municipal corporations including Ahmedabad, Vadohra, Jamnagar, Rajkot, and Bhavnagar.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi thanked the people of the state saying, “For a party that is serving in a state for over two decades to record such a phenomenal win is noteworthy. It is heartening to see widespread support from all sections of society, particularly the youth of Gujarat, towards BJP.”
Home Minister Amit Shah also lauded Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel, newly-elected state BJP chief CR Patil, as well as his team saying, “It's the first poll after COVID-19 and and the fight against it was mounted under the leadership of Vijay Bhai and Nitin Bhai, the way it has been done across the country.”
BJP Chief JP Nadda also thanked “the voters of all the six municipal corporations, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, state BJP chief CR Patil, and party workers for this success”, ANI quoted.
The voting for 576 seats across the six municipal corporations took place on Sunday, 21 February, in PM Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah’s home state.
In 2015, the BJP had won 391 out of the 576 seats while the Congress had won 174.
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS/TRENDS SO FAR?
- BJP wins 409 of 474 seats where results were declared so far.
- According to ANI, while BJP won 93 seats, Aam Aadmi Party won 27 seats in Surat Municipal Corporation election, and Congress bagged none.
- While the Congress has retained all four wards in Ahmedabad's Danilimda, the party has also retained all four seats in Dariyapur, a Congress bastion in eastern Ahmedabad.
- BSP has won three out of four seats in Ward 6 of Jamnagar Municipal Corporation.
- Ashok Dangar, president of Rajkot city unit of Congress, lost from Ward No 17 of Rajkot Municipal Corporation.
- According to a report by Times Of India, BJP had won 99 seats out of 109 in Ahmedabad, 68 out of 72 in Rajkot, 50 out of 64 in Jamnagar, 44 out of 52 in Bhavnagar, and 65 out of 72 in Vadohdara.
- The Congress has won 4 seats in Rajkot so far, 11 in Jamnagar, 8 in Bhavnagar, and 7 in Vadodara.
WHO ARE THE OTHER PLAYERS?
- According to Indian Express, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) is contesting the polls for the first time and has hindered Congress’ growth in Rajkot.
- The All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) was leading in the Behrampura ward in early trends.
(With inputs from The Indian Express)
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.