- PM Modi hailed the role of CAs in his speech at the Indira Gandhi stadium
- President Pranab Mukherjee rolls out GST at special midnight session of Parliament
- President Mukherjee said GST is tribute to mature Indian politics
- PM Modi said GST is a result of “collective effort” of government and political parties
- GST Council reduces rate on fertilisers from 12 percent to 5 percent
- Congress calls the midnight launch a “tamasha”
- Congress, TMC boycott the midnight GST session
PM Modi Addresses CAs at the Indira Gandhi Stadium
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his address to chartered accountants at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Delhi stressed upon the fact that the newly launched Goods and Services Tax would help remove black money from the country.
Speaking on the occasion of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India’s (ICAI) founder’s day, Modi praised CAs and their role in maintaining transparency within the financial system by keeping a check on people’s income through the process of audit.
The PM also said that the “nation's growth is dependent on a clean tax regime. GST and demonetisation are key steps in that direction.” Watch Modi’s full speech here:
Amit Shah Extends Congratulations
BJP President Amit Shah congratulated Narendra Modi, Arun Jaitley and all state governmentes following the GST rollout.