Detained ‘Greater Kashmir’ Journalist Irfan Malik Released on Bond

The family of the 26-year-old journalist had earlier said he was picked up from his home during a midnight raid.

2 min read
Detained ‘Greater Kashmir’ Journalist Irfan Malik Released on Bond

The Quint DAILY

For impactful stories you just can’t miss

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy

Kashmir-based journalist Irfan Amin Malik, who was picked up from his home in Pulwama's Tral town by security forces late on Wednesday, has been released on a bond, officials cited by PTI said on Friday, 16 August.

Irfan Malik, a correspondent with Kashmir's largest English daily Greater Kashmir, was questioned before being released, they said. It was not immediately known as to why he was detained.

Officials, however, said a bond is taken from those who indulge in anti-social activities.

The family of the 26-year-old journalist had earlier said he was picked up from his home during a midnight raid.

“They (security forces) arrived at our home at 11:30 pm last night. As soon Irfan came out, they told him to come with them… he was taken directly to the police station in Tral,” Irfan’s father Mohammed Amin Malik had told The Indian Express.

Catch all the live updates on the situation in Jammu and Kashmir here.


Irfan’s father had also told reporters that his family had no idea why their son was detained.

Meanwhile, Irfan's mother, who had managed to meet him inside the police station, had reportedly said, “He was not inside any lockup but was taking a stroll inside the garden of the police station. He said he was not mistreated by the police but was nervous about why he was kept under custody.”

The journalist's family had travelled to Srinagar to inform the media about him being detained.


Kashmir has been witnessing a continued lockdown and arrests and detainment of many of its political leaders including former chief ministers Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti ever since Home Minister Amit Shah announced the abrogation of Article 370 in the Parliament on 5 August. However, this was the first report of a journalist being detained in the Valley.

In a media briefing on Friday, J&K Chief Secretary BVR Subrahmanyam said there will be an “easing of restrictions in the next few days in an orderly way”, with schools to be opened after the weekend area by area.

“Movement of public transport would be made operational. Government offices are functional from today. Telecom connectivity will be gradually eased and restored in a phased manner,” the chief secretary said.

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read and Breaking News at the Quint, browse for more from news and india

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member

25 10% off


100 10% off


200 10% off

or more


3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
More News