- Environmental pollution main cause of asthma: On World
Asthma Day, experts have stated
that rising environmental pollution is the main reason for rising cases of asthma.
An estimated 30 million people in India suffer from this disorder.
- Environment friendly cremation: In an effort to reduce
the environmental impact of cremations, the government is promoting alternative
methods using electricity and CNG.
- Unlocking 41,000 crore of forest funds: The Lok Sabha
a bill authorizing the use of funds in the Compensatory Afforestation
Management and Planning Authority. The Bill will divide the money between the
Centre and the States.
- “Concrete and time-bound roadmap” for CNG switch: The Supreme Court has agreed to examine a Delhi government proposal for a more gradual switch to non-diesel taxis. However, the Court reiterated its earlier observations and noted that public transport cannot be dependent on diesel vehicles.
- NGT issues notices on burning hills issue: As
forest fires rage across Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, the Green Tribunal has
notices to the environment ministry and the concerned state governments. The
NGT expressed concern about the authorities’ “casual” approach and asked to be
appraised of steps being taken to deal with the situation and to prevent such
fires in the future.
- Solar Impulse 2 crosses the
Pacific: In a historic moment for clean tech, the solar powered plane has
overcome a major challenge by crossing the Pacific Ocean and reaching
California as part of its historic journey around the globe.
- 3465.94 hectares: The estimated
forest area affected by the recent forest fires
- $43.4 billion lawsuit filed
against BHP Billiton and Vale: Prosecutors in Brazil have filed
a multi-billion dollar case against the mining heavyweights in relation to the
deadly Samarco mine dam burst. The toxic flood of mud and water has killed 19
and has been called the “biggest environmental disaster in the history of
- The real cost of water: A new
India’s water situation and how uncontrolled exploitation of valuable
groundwater resources is setting the stage for an environmental tragedy.
- What causes forest fires? Watch this video here to find out:
- Where in India would you find the Rajaji National Park? (a) Rajasthan (b) Tamil Nadu (c) Uttarakhand (d) Madhya Pradesh
(Shalini Iyengar is a lawyer and Research Associate at the International University College of Turin.)