Presidential Polls to Be Held on 17 July, Results on 20: EC
The counting for the Presidential elections would happen on 20 July, four days before Pranab Mukherjee steps down.
- CEC Naseem Zaidi announced the dates for the Presidential Elections today.
- The polling will be held on 17 July, and the counting would be on 20 July.
- The term of incumbent President Pranab Mukherjee will end on 24 July.
- The elections are expected to be a contest between the NDA and the Opposition led by Congress.
Dates For The Presidential Elections
The following details were announced by the Chief Election Commissioner.
The polls will be held on 17 July, and the counting would be on 20 July.
- Last date for making nominations - 28 June 2017
- Date for scrutiny of nominations - 29 June 2017
- Last date for withdrawal of candidature - 1 July 2017
- Date of poll - 17 July 2017
- Date of counting, (if required) - 20 July 2017
- Polling hours - 10 am-5 pm
- Counting time - 11 am-Till the counting is complete
CEC Naseem Zaidi Addresses Press Conference on Presidential Elections
Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Naseem Zaidi addressed a press conference on the upcoming Presidential elections. Outlining the process and rules of the electing the President, Zaidi said that the term of incumbent President Pranab Mukherjee would end on 24 July.
It is also clarified that political parties cannot issue any whip to any MPs and MLAs in the voting for the Presidential Elections.Naseem Zaidi
How Did The Last Two Presidential Elections Play Out?
These numbers give you an idea of how the last two Presidential elections played out:
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.