Death Toll Rises to Three in Kolkata’s Nagerbazar Area Explosion
A 43-year-old man, injured in Kolkata’s Nagerbazar area explosion, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday, 14 October, rising the death toll to three. The blasts took place in the area almost two weeks ago, on 2 October.
The 45-year-old man has been identified as a Sarat Shetty, passed away late night on 14 October. A seven-year-old boy and a 43-year-old man were also killed in the blasts.
The minor child identified as Bibhash Ghosh, died in the city’s SSKM hospital, after he was shifted there from RG Kar Medical College when his condition worsened. According to local media reports, the child’s mother was also hospitalised here with severe burn injuries.
The bomb is said to have gone off, at around 9 am, in front of a building which houses the office of TMC leader and South Dum Dum Municipal Chairperson Panchu Roy, who identified himself as the possible target, The Telegraph reported.
MAMATA CALLS FOR CID INVESTIGATION
On 3 October, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had ordered an investigation by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) into the blast. However, the state unit of the BJP called it an “eyewash” and demanded a probe by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED
The explosion took place outside a fruit shop on the ground floor of a building in Nagerbazar’s Kazipara area, which is under the jurisdiction of Dum Dum Police Station, at around 9 am, said police.
"It was a socket bomb explosion. Forensic team and the bomb squad of CID are examining the spot. We have started further investigation," a police officer said.
Those injured were rushed to RG Kar Medical College and Hospital.
A forensic team and sniffer dogs were sent to the spot to ascertain the nature of explosion, police told PTI.
WHAT POLICE OFFICIALS HAVE SAID SO FAR
Ananda Roy, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Barrackpore Commissionerate, told PTI, "A child, who was severely injured in the blast, died in hospital. A total of nine persons are injured."
WHAT THE POLITICAL PARTIES HAD TO SAY
The ruling Trinamool Congress held the BJP and RSS responsible for the blast, alleging that the saffron party was aiming to 'kill’ South Dum Dum Municipality chairperson Panchu Roy.
Speaking to PTI, Roy said he was late in reaching his office on Tuesday, otherwise he is usually in the building around the time the blast took place. "It was a pre-planned blast... They had planned to kill me and other TMC workers, as it would create panic and help them gain foothold in the area," he said.
Trinamool Congress MLA Purnendu Basu was quoted by ANI saying the blast was similar to an earlier one carried out by the RSS.
The BJP, in turn, rubbished the charges made by the TMC and demanded a NIA probe into the blast, which shook the windows of neighbouring houses and left the shutters of nearby shops damaged.
Calling Roy and other TMC leaders former Naxalites, the BJP said the blast was a result of an internal feud in the TMC.
BJP leader Mukul Roy challenged the ruling party to carry out the investigation.
Joining in, state BJP President Dilip Ghosh said the TMC has a ‘mania’ to blame the BJP, reported The Indian Express.
“TMC leaders are having a mania to blame BJP whenever something happens. We have seen, blasts have taken place inside and outside TMC office even in the past. This incident is very unfortunate, and it is very disturbing that even the main city is not secure,” said Ghosh.
Stressing on Kolkata’s safety, CPI(M) leader Sujan Chakraborty also condemned the incident, calling Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to secure the city.
“We don’t want London, can she (Mamata Banerjee) give us a secured Bangla,” The Indian Express report quoted Chakraborty