Cyclone Fani: Important Do’s and Don’ts You Must Know
Cyclone Fani: Here is the advisory issued by NDMA.
Cyclone Fani, one of the extremely severe cyclones of its time, made landfall in Odisha on Friday morning, 3 May. Nearly 11 lakh people have been evacuated from vulnerable areas to safer places in the last 24 hours in Odisha.
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) of India has issued an advisory listing out the Do's and Don'ts for surviving and managing cyclones like Fani, which was today ranked an 'extremely severe cyclonic storm'.
Things to Keep in Mind Before the Cyclone
- Remain calm and ignore rumours
- Keep your mobile phones charged
- Stay tuned to the news for weather updates
- Store documents and other valuables in waterproof containers
- Prepare an emergency kit
- Don't leave sharp objects loose
- Untie cattle or other animals
To Dos During/After the Cyclone if You Are Indoors
- Switch off electrical mains and the gas supply
- Keep doors and windows shut tight, no matter what do not open them
- If your house is unsafe, leave early before the onset of the cyclone
- Listen to a radio/transistor to get updates and information
- Drink only boiled/chlorinated water
- Rely only on official warnings
To Dos During/After the Cyclone If You Are Outdoors
- Do not enter any damaged buildings
- Watch out for broken electric poles, wires, other sharp objects. These could cause serious harm.
- Seek shelter as soon as possible.
Guidelines for Fishermen Along the Affected Coast
- Keep a radio set with extra batteries handy
- Keep boats/rafts tied in a safe place
- Don't venture out to sea
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.