India on Tuesday, 8 June, reported 86,498 new coronavirus cases, taking the tally in the country to 2,89,96,473. This is the first time less than 1 lakh daily cases have been reported after 63 days. The death toll increased by 2,123 to 3,51,309.
According to the Union Health Ministry data, there are currently 13,03,702 active cases across the country, while 2,73,41,462 patients have been discharged, with 1,82,282 discharges reported in the last 24 hours.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday lifted the COVID-19 curfew from all districts, with the night curfew from 7 pm to 7 am to continue.
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar on Tuesday announced that the lockdown in the state will be lifted, with a night curfew to be in force from 7 pm to 5 am
- Maharashtra on Monday reported 10,219 new coronavirus cases and 154 deaths
- Delhi on Monday reported 231 new infections, with a positivity rate of 0.36 percent, and 36 fatalities
- PM Modi on Monday announced centralisation of the COVID-19 vaccine drive, saying the Centre would take back control from the state for procuring the doses
- COVID-related restrictions have been extended till 15 June in Punjab, but some relaxations have been given
Punjab Govt to Give 2nd Covishield Dose Prior to Prescribed Interval for Those Going Abroad for Specific Purposes
Punjab Health Minister Balbir Singh Sidhu has said that now second dose of Covishield vaccine will be administered prior to prescribe time interval after 28 days to persons who undertake international travel for specific purposes, reported ANI, citing the state government.
Telangana Reports 1,897 New COVID Cases
Telangana reports 1,897 new cases, 2,982 recoveries and 15 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- Total cases 5,95,000
- Total recoveries 5,67,285
- Death toll 3,409
- Active cases 24,306
Karnataka Reports 9,808 New COVID Cases
Karnataka reports 9,808 new cases, 23,449 recoveries and 179 deaths in the last 24 hours.
- Total cases 27,17,289
- Total recoveries 24,60,165
- Death toll 32,099
- Active cases 2,25,004
Puducherry Eases Lockdown, Liquor Sales Open
- The Puducherry government extended the lockdown till 14 June, although some curbs will also see relaxations
- Liquor shops will resume operations
- All liquor shop workers have been urged to get vaccinated within 15 days
- Places of worship such as temples and churches will be allowed to operate during the same hours as shops
- Autos, taxis and other vehicles are also permitted to function