‘2,361 Evacuated, 617 Sent to Hospitals’: Sisodia on Markaz

Delhi’s Nizamuddin neighbourhood was virtually sealed over fears that some people might have contracted COVID-19.

4 min read
Sanitation work being carried out in New Delhi’s Nizamuddin area.

Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Wednesday, 1 April, said that a total of 2,361 people have been evacuated from Nizamuddin Markaz, in a joint operation by authorities which lasted 36 hours. Sisodia was quoted by ANI as saying,

“In the last 36 hours, we have run a very extensive operation in coordination with medical authorities, police, DTC, and others which went on till 4 am today. A total of 2,361 have been brought out from there, out of those 617 have been sent to hospitals while the rest have been sent to different quarantine facilities.”

ANI reported that the Deputy CM also urged others who attended the event at Markaz in March to come forward and approach the health authorities on their own.

“All of you (who attended the event at Nizamuddin Markaz) should come forward and report to the health authorities. If you try to hide your illness from the administration then action will be taken against you.”
Manish Sisodia, Deputy Chief Minister

He further said a list of phone numbers of all the people brought out from the spot has been handed over to the police and the cyber cell will trace the people they contacted over the past few days.

The FIR was registered against Maulana Saad and others of the Tabligh-e-Jamaat for violating government directions given to the management of the Nizamuddin Markaz Masjid regarding restrictions on gatherings.

The case was registered under the Epidemic Disease Act of 1897 and other sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC).

Quoting sources in Delhi Police, ANI reported that the names mentioned in the FIR are Maulana Saad, Dr Zeeshan, Mufti Shehzad, M Saifi, Younus, and Mohd Salman.

ANI further reported that another person, Mohammed Ashraf has also been included in the FIR. While the whereabouts of Maulana Saad are not known since 28 March when he was served a notice by police and the search for him is underway.

Six men from Telangana and one from Kashmir had died on Sunday, 30 March, after they contracted the COVID-19 disease at the gathering attended by Indonesia’s and Malaysian nationals.

Following which, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had ordered an FIR in connection with the congregation and the south Delhi neighbourhood was virtually sealed following fears that some people might have contracted COVID-19.

“The Delhi Government wrote to Lieutenant Governor for registration of FIR in this case; I have full hope he will give orders soon. If any negligence is found on part of any officers then action will be taken against them also.”
Arvind Kejriwal, Delhi CM

Delhi Police and CRPF officials along with medical teams had gone to the locality late on Sunday night after reports that a large number of people were showing symptoms of the disease.

The Telangana State Medical and Health Department issued a statement stating that a special team under the collectors have contact traced the six deceased and have moved the people they came in touch with to hospitals where they were tested and treated.

“The government would conduct tests and offer treatment to them free of cost. Hence, all those, who went for the Markaz prayers in Delhi should inform the authorities. Any one who has information about them should alert the government,” the statement read.

At least 100 people were tested for the disease.

Around 2,000 people in the locality have been asked to quarantine themselves, while a few are reportedly being shifted to other localities.

Kashmir’s First COVID-19 Victim Part of Gathering

Kashmir reported its first death on Thursday, 26 March as a 65-year-old man passed away in Hyderpora, Srinagar, due to the novel coronavirus, PTI reported.

The patient was a resident of Hyderpora Srinagar (originally a resident of Sopore) and had recently returned from taking part in a Tablighi Jamaat’ congregation in Delhi, reported The Indian Express.

A Greater Kashmir report mentioned that the patient had a history of diabetes, hypertension and obesity and had recently traveled to Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Jammu, attributing the information to news agency GNS.

At Least 100 Tested, 2,000 Asked to Self-Quarantine

A man who attended the event died of coronavirus, and two others tested positive, reported NDTV, adding that people from Malaysia, Indonesia and Saudi Arabia were also present at the gathering.

This is said to be the largest single group being tested at a time over suspicion of the highly contagious COVID-19, the report further added.

According to The Hindu, the area was completely cordoned off and drones were deployed by the cops to ensure that no one violates the lockdown rules.

On 27 March, six people from Andaman and Nicobar Islands also tested positive for coronavirus – all of whom had attended the religious event in Delhi. A 65-year-old from Srinagar and 52-year-old from Andhra Pradesh who attended the event also tested positive.

Entry to the mosque was banned until further orders.

On 16 March, Delhi Government had banned religious, social, cultural and political gatherings as well as protests comprising more than 50 people till 31 March in view of the coronavirus outbreak.

(With inputs from PTI, ANI, NDTV, The Hindu)

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!