COVID Surge: Union Health Minister to Chair GoM Meeting Tomorrow
Catch all the updates on the coronavirus outbreak here.
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan will chair the 24th meeting of the High-level Group of Ministers (GoM) on COVID-19 and the status of preparedness on Friday, 9 April.
India on Thursday reported 1,26,789 new coronavirus cases, taking the tally in the country to 1,29,28,574. The death toll increased by 685 to 1,66,862. This is the biggest one-day rise in cases in the country ever since the pandemic began.
Amid the worrying surge in COVID cases, a night curfew has been imposed in Gautam Buddh Nagar district, including Noida, from 10 pm to 5 am till 17 April. All movement of essential goods and services shall be exempted, the district administration said.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday received his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at Delhi’s AIIMS
- MP CM Shivraj Chouhan has announced that there will be a lockdown in urban areas in the state from 6 pm on Friday till 6 am on Monday
- The Maharashtra government has flagged the issue of vaccine shortage, drawing a sharp rebuke from Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan
- Maharashtra reported the biggest one-day spike of 59,907 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday
- A night curfew has been announced in several cities of Uttar Pradesh, including Lucknow, Kanpur and Varanasi
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Former Kerala CM Oommen Chandy Gets COVID-19
Two time former Kerala Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Oommen Chandy has contracted COVID-19. The 77-year-old had been suffering from fever for the last two days and was quarantined at his residence in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Night Curfew in Some Areas of Jammu & Kashmir From 9 April
Night curfew will be imposed in urban areas of Jammu, Udhampur, Kathua, Srinagar, Baramulla, Budgam, Anantnag and Kupwara districts between 10 pm and 6 am from 9th April, the Office of LG, Jammu and Kashmir announced on Thursday.
Delhi Govt's Directive to Private Hospitals
The Delhi Government has directed 115 private hospitals to reserve 50 percent of their total ICU and ward bed capacity for COVID-19 patients.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.
09:29 AM, 08 AprNew Zealand Temporarily Suspends Entry from India
10:11 AM, 08 AprOver 1.26 Lakh New COVID Cases in India, Biggest 1-Day Rise So Far
01:06 PM, 08 AprLockdown in MP Urban Areas from 6 pm on Friday to 6 am on Monday
03:21 PM, 08 AprNight Curfew in Noida From 10 pm to 5 am Till 17 Apr
05:40 PM, 08 AprUnion Health Min to Chair GoM Meeting Tomorrow on COVID-19
06:36 PM, 08 AprKerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan Tests Positive for COVID-19