China and India have made an effort to disengage along the Actual Line of Control, after agreeing in principle to withdraw from PP17A or 'Gogra Post' – a key patrol point in Eastern Ladakh, sources in the government said, The Indian Express reported.
This came during the 12th round of Corps Commander-level talks between the two countries which was held on Saturday, In a joint statement, the nations had said that 'this round of meeting was constructive, which further enhanced mutual understanding'.
However, as per the report, China is 'not inclined' to disengage from PP15 or the Hot Springs area.
As per the official source, the movement is likely to begin in the coming couple of days, and the details of the disengagement are being discussed.
Following the Galwan Valley clash in June last year, PP17A and PP15 on the Indian side of the LAC were highly militarised with platoon-sized units stationed on the points, however, the forces have not had any violent engagements since.
According to sources, the disengagement at PP17A is likely to follow the process that was adopted for PP14 in the Galwan Valley and Pangong Tso where a time-frame was set for withdrawal, temporary structures were removed and a physical verification was done.
The 12th round of talks between India and China began at 10:30 am at Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) on Saturday and discussed issues related to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.
The talks which ended at 7:30pm, lasted 9 hours, said reports.
The Indian delegation was led by Leh-based XIV Corps chief Lt Gen PGK Menon, and Additional Secretary (East Asia) in the Ministry of External Affairs, Naveen Srivastava.
The Chinese military delegation was led by the Commander of the PLA's Western Theatre Command, Xu Qiling, who was appointed earlier this month.
Further, both countries have agreed to resolve the 'remaining issues in an expeditious manner in accordance with the existing agreements and protocols and maintain the momentum of dialogue and negotiations'.
"The two sides also agreed that in the interim they will continue their effective efforts in ensuring stability along the LAC in the Western Sector and jointly maintain peace and tranquility," the statement read.
India and China have been engaged in diplomatic and military talks after tensions began rising along the high-altitude border in 2020. The situation escalated when 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a skirmish in mid-June at Galwan Valley in Ladakh.