The Bhupesh Baghel-led Chhattisgarh government on Wednesday, 2 January, ordered an SIT probe in the 2013 Jhiram Ghati Naxal attack in which 29 people, including Congress leaders had died, ANI reported.
On 18 December 2018, Baghel had promised that his government will form an SIT to look into the matter.
After the incident, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had conducted a probe and submitted its report to the court.
Baghel had said that the NIA report did not cover the conspiracy angle in the incident, which had wiped out the state Congress leadership.
In an interview to PTI on 23 December 2018, Baghel termed the strike as a “supari killing” (contract killing) and maintained that its conspirators should be exposed and punished under the law.
"The questions related to the deadly Naxal attack during Congress’ ‘parivartan’ rally on 25 May 2013, still remains unanswered. When Congress leaders had been provided security on 24 May during their campaign, then why was protection withdrawn on May 25? Who had ordered for withdrawal and who was responsible for it?" he asked.
"Before killing our senior leaders, Naxals had asked for them by their names which they generally never do. Their intention was to kill some specific leaders which indicated there was a conspiracy. It was a ‘supari killing’," Baghel said.
Only an SIT probe would bring out the truth and help in punishing the conspirators, the chief minister said.
On 18 December 2018, Baghel said the government will hold talks with people and tribals who were most affected by the incident and then formulate a policy to deal with it. "The previous government had tried to solve the problem through guns, which is not a proper way," he said.
"This is a socio-economic-political problem and should be dealt with accordingly. We would have to first talk to these people and take them into confidence and accordingly, draw a policy to tackle the menace," he said.