CBI Takes Custody of Shahabuddin Over Rajdeo Ranjan’s Murder Case

The former RJD MP was the tenth accused to be named in the murder case.

Updated
India
1 min read
Former RJD MP Mohammad Shahabuddin. (Photo: IANS)

The CBI, on Monday, took custody of RJD leader Shahabuddin, an accused in the murder case of journalist Rajdeo Ranjan. Earlier on Friday, it had named him as an accused in the case.

CBI sources said that Shahabuddin will be questioned in the CBI headquarters over the murder case.

As per the CBI Special court's order, Shahabuddin was produced in the court of Special Judge Anupam Kumari, in Muzaffarpur, through video-conferencing facility.

On 22 May, the CBI Special court had issued the production warrant against Shahabuddin who is the 10th accused in the murder case.

He is currently in Delhi’s Tihar Jail, and the CBI will file a chargesheet against him soon.

The CBI has already filed chargesheet against seven accused persons in the case, two of whom – Mohammad Javed and Mohammad Kaif – are on bail. Javed and Kaif are said to be active members of the Shahabuddin gang.

Shahabuddin, the four-time RJD MP from Siwan, is alleged to have been involved in the murder of Rajdeo Ranjan, a journalist of a prominent Hindi daily in Siwan in 2016.

The order came on the pleas by Siwan-based Chandrakeshwar Prasad, whose three sons were killed in two separate incidents, and Asha Ranjan, the wife of scribe Rajdeo Ranjan who was murdered in Siwan, seeking shifting of the RJD leader from Siwan jail.

(With inputs from PTI)

Tune in to Quint Live on Facebook & YouTube – Khabar, Sports, Bollywood – Strictly Live!

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Published: 
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!