No cases of molestation were reported in Bengaluru during New Year’s Eve celebrations, city police commissioner T Suneel Kumar said on Monday, 1 January 2018. He added that 1,300 people were booked for violating traffic rules.
His announcement came after a man came forward alleging that his wife and other women were molested on Brigade Road, infamous for the alleged mass-molestation during New Year’s Eve celebrations last year.
‘My Wife and Others Were Molested’
According to India Today, a man claimed that his wife was molested at the Brigade Road circle on Sunday night.
The man said as soon as the countdown for the new year began, some people began to physically push themselves on women. Speaking to India Today, he said:
They were trying to pull down the women’s pants and put their hands inside their clothes.
He added that he would soon lodge a formal complaint.
Security was Tightened to Avoid a Repeat of Last Year
This comes after police deployment was intensified at Brigade Road due to the alleged mass molestation that took place there last year.
Over 15,000 cops were deployed throughout the city, and the security was further tightened through the use of drones and CCTV cameras, the commissioner said.
Two thousand policemen, several drones and over 500 CCTV cameras were deployed in and around the 500-meter Brigade Road, he said.
(Breathe In, Breathe Out: Are you finding it tough to breathe polluted air? Join hands with FIT in partnership with #MyRightToBreathe to find a solution to pollution. Send in your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp @ +919999008335)
(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)