J&K Witnesses 30 Stone-Pelting Incidents After Art 370 Scrapped
A total of 30 incidents of stone-pelting were recorded in Srinagar on 5 and 6 August, with 20 incidents recorded on 6 August alone, top officials in security forces said to The Quint.
“All incidents of stone-pelting were of low intensity. Security forces used tear gas to to control protestors. We also distributed daily essentials, like milk, bread and packed food to the residents of Srinagar. Section 144 is likely to be relaxed on Friday and Eid to allow people to offer prayers. We are waiting for orders,” a security forces official said.
On 6 August, The Quint reported about 10 incidents of stone-pelting in Kashmir on 5 August, after the Centre effectively revoked Article 370 that gave Jammu and Kashmir special status. Of these 10 incidents, nine happened in Srinagar and one in Awantipora.
Not more than 10-20 people gathered in all 30 stone-pelting incidents and no security personnel were injured. No Kashmiri has been detained by security forces in these incidents.
The 10 Incidents of Stone-Pelting in Kashmir On 5 Aug
Here is the list of 10 incidents where stone-pelting occurred on 5 August.
- Between 8 am and 2 pm, stone-pelting reported in Subji Mandi to Malik Sah Gali in Srinagar. One CRPF vehicle damaged.
- Between 4 pm and 8:30 pm, stone-pelting reported in Somyar Mandir in Srinagar.
- At 7:15 pm, stone-pelting reported in Hafizbagh Camp in Srinagar.
- Between 7:20 pm and 7:25 pm, stone-pelting reported in 90 Feet Road in Srinagar.
- Between 6:30 pm and 7:15 pm, stone-pelting reported in Islamic College, Nowhatta in Srinagar.
- Between 2:30 pm and 7 pm, stone-pelting reported in Fire Service T-Point to Chotta Bazaar in Srinagar.
- Between 7 pm and 8:30 pm, stone-pelting reported in Hamdaria Bridge in Srinagar.
- Between 7 pm and 8:30 pm, stone-pelting reported in SDA office/JVC Menina in Srinagar.
- Between 7 pm and 8:30 pm, stone-pelting reported in Power Grid in Srinagar.
- Latest incident of stone-pelting reported in Panch goan in Awantipora in Kashmir.
“The situation is in control in the Valley. All stone-pelting incidents were of low intensity. These incidents were more symbolic in nature,” said a senior official of the security forces. He also added that heavy deployment of forces will continue till further orders from the Centre.
Section 144 was imposed late at night on 4 August, after National Conference vice-President Omar Abdullah and Peoples’ Democratic Party President Mehbooba Mufti were placed under house arrest. Section 144 will continue in the Valley till further orders.
Section 144 bars people from holding any kind of public meetings or rallies and prohibits the assembly of four or more people in one place.
The article was originally published on 6 August, we will keep on updating it as and when we get for information.
(Hi there! We will be continuing our news service on WhatsApp. Meanwhile, stay tuned to our Telegram channel here.)