Arsalan Scion’s Car Was at 135 Kmph Seconds Before Deadly Accident

The Jaguar went from 135 kmph to 69 kmph in the 10 seconds before the crash, the car’s event data recorder revealed.

2 min read
The Jaguar went from 135 kmph to 69 kmph in the 10 seconds before the crash, the car’s event data recorder revealed.

Raghib Parwez, the elder son of the owner of Kolkata’s popular Arsalan chain of restaurants, was clocking a speed of 135 kilometres per hour (kmph) seconds before his Jaguar rammed into a Mercedes and led to the death of two Bangladeshis late night on 16 August.

The Jaguar F-Pace was travelling at 135 kmph and came down to 69 kmph in the 10 seconds before it crashed, the car’s event data recorder (EDR) has revealed.

The Speed Report

Police officials told The Telegraph that the findings indicate that 25-year-old Raghib, who has been arrested for allegedly being at the wheel of the Jaguar, had tried to slow down the car 10 seconds before the accident.

Kolkata Police is said to have received the analysis report of the Jaguar’s event data recorder (EDR) from the company’s headquarters in the UK.

According to the police, the report states that the car was travelling at 135 kmph 10 seconds before the crash. Then the brakes were applied and in five seconds, the speed reduced to 103 kmph. In the next five seconds, it fell further down to 69 kmph, when it crashed into the Mercedes.

Kolkata Police’s database shows that the same vehicle had been caught by speed guns on 43 occasions over the last nine months, according to police sources, reported The Indian Express.

Where the Case Stands Now

Police had initially arrested 22-year-old Arsalan Parvez, Raghib’s younger brother, for driving the car responsible for the crash. But after an initial investigation revealed that Arsalan was not driving the Jaguar on the night of the accident, it was Raghib who was arrested instead and sent to police custody till 3 September.

The Jaguar that Raghib was allegedly driving had rammed into a Mercedes, which then crashed into a police kiosk on a pavement, where three Bangladeshi nationals had taken shelter from the rain. Two of them died and the third was injured. The two occupants of the Mercedes were also injured.

The maternal uncle of the two brothers, who had helped Raghib flee to Dubai after the accident, was also arrested. Raghib had reportedly left for Dubai on 18 August and returned to Kolkata late night on 19 August.

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!