5 Points Digvijay Singh Made Seeking CBI Probe in Vyapam Scam
Congress moves SC seeking CBI probe in Vyapam scam. Here are 5 things he said after making the appeal.
Upping the ante on the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government in Madhya Pradesh, Congress leader Digvijay Singh has approached the Supreme Court seeking CBI investigation into the Vyapam scam under apex court monitoring.
5 Points Made by Digvijay Singh
• Have filed a petition in the apex court. The scandal is becoming murkier by the day with at least 24 accused and witnesses having died so far under mysterious circumstances.
Some reports have claimed that there have been 40 such deaths.
• The Special Investigation Team of the state police currently probing the scam has expressed its “helplessness” in the matter given its magnitude and the alleged involvement of top officials of the police, civil services and judiciary as also BJP and RSS leaders.
• Former CM Om Prakash Chautala was sent to jail following irregularities in the appointment of 130 teachers. This involves the appointment of some 1,30,000 people in state government services over a period of time.
• With a hint of sarcasm, Digvijay Singh said Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan is a “poor little guy” who did not notice anything amiss despite lot of things happening around him.
• Had approached the Supreme Court once earlier in the case but the Court had felt that the SIT was looking into it.
Vyapam scam is a massive admission and recruitment scandal involving politicians, bureaucrats and middlemen. Several politicians including former education minister Laxmikant Sharma, a host of officials and scores of aspirants have been arrested in the case.
(With inputs from PTI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.