2G Scam: SC Directs CBI & ED to Wrap Up Investigations in 6 Months
The bench had earlier asked the CBI and ED whether there were any “invisible hands” that were stalling their probe.
The Supreme Court on Monday, 12 March, pulled up the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) for not conducting investigation in all cases relating to 2G spectrum allocation scam and directed them to complete it within six months.
A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra slammed the agencies for not completing their probe in all 2G cases, saying "you can't keep the people of the country in the dark".
"The issue is serious for this country. People want to know why investigation has not been completed... We are worried about this case, we are very unhappy”, it said.
We direct the competent investigating agencies to complete the investigation within six months in all the cases and aspects concerned with 2G spectrum case. No stone shall be left unturned.SC Bench
The bench had earlier asked the CBI and ED whether there were any “invisible hands” that were stalling their probe into the investigations, reported The Statesman.
The bench also dismissed a contempt petition filed against the Centre for appointing Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta as special public prosecutor in 2G case by replacing senior advocate Anand Grover who was appointed by the apex court.
The court said it was open for the central government to change the special public prosecutor to represent the CBI and ED after the trial got over.
The court, in December 2017, had acquitted everyone who was accused in the case, including Telecom Minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi, who had been arrested on charges of taking kickbacks.
A total of 33 persons were named in the case, according to The Statesman.
(With inputs from IANS)
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.