UP Police Files Murder FIR After Death of Two Dalit Girls in Unnao
All three were found unconscious by villagers, who informed they had not returned after leaving to bring fodder.
Video Producer: Shohini Bose
Video Editor: Abhishek Sharma
Two Dalit girls, aged 13 and 16, were found dead on their family’s field in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district on Wednesday, 17 February. Another 17-year-old Dalit girl was found at the same spot in a critical condition.
UP Police on Thursday, 18 February, filed an FIR against unknown persons on charges of murder and attempt to hide evidence, upon the complaint of the family.
- According to the FIR, the three girls had gone to the field to collect fodder for their cattle around noon on Wednesday, but did not reach home till late evening.
- The three girls were found in an unconscious state in the evening in a field.
- According to the FIR, the scarves were tied around their necks and all the three girls had froth coming out of their mouths. They were first taken to a nursing home first where the doctor refused to do the check up.
- They were then taken to the CHC Asoha government hospital where two girls were declared dead on arrival while the third girl was in a critical condition and was given preliminary treatment. She was then referred to Unnao district hospital.
- Citing prima facie evidence, the police said that they suspect a case of poisoning but further investigation was being carried out and necessary actions will be taken.
- Talking to reporters on 17 February night, the mother of one of the victims said that when the girls were found, their hands or legs were not tied but they were frothing at the mouth. However, another family member had claimed their hands were tied, pointing to the fact that it was not a case of suicide.
- The third victim, who is fighting for her life, has been shifted to Kanpur Regency Hospital where she has been kept on ventilator. District Magistrate Unnao, Ravindra Kumar, has sent a letter to the private hospital informing that the entire cost of the girl's treatment would be borne by the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister's Relief Fund.
- Uttar Pradesh police chief on Thursday said the initial post mortem has not been able to ascertain the cause of the death and their samples have been sent for medical examination.
- Heavy police force has been deployed in the village on Thursday morning.
DEMAND TO SHIFT CRITICAL VICTIM TO AIIMS
After the details of the case surfaced, many demanded that the third victim, who is critical at the Kanpur hospital, be shifted to Delhi’s AIIMS. Some pointed out that proper medical treatment is crucial for the survival of the third girl, who is the sole witness to the incident.
Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi took to social media and attacked the Uttar Pradesh government. They said that they are standing as the voice of the victims’ family.
(With inputs from Gaurav Sharma in Unnao and Vivek Mishra in Kanpur)
(With inputs from The Indian Express and PTI.)
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.