Ghana, Ivory Coast Trip: Pranab Mukherjee to Unveil Gandhi Statue
President will unveil a statue of Mahatma Gandhi and also plant a sapling at the Ghanaian Presidential Complex.
- President Pranab Mukherjee will embark on a 4-day visit to Ghana and Ivory Coast on 12 June. With this trip India will aim to improve ties with the two African nations.
- In Ghana, Mukherjee will hold talks with President John Dramani Mahama on a range of bilateral as well as global issues. The two leaders will discuss setting up of a joint commission between India and Ghana, along with the renewal of Cultural Exchange Programme.
- President Mukherjee will unveil a statue of Mahatma Gandhi and also plant a sapling at the Ghanaian Presidential Complex, an iconic building built with Indian assistance through a Line of credit.
- Mukherjee will then depart for the Ivory Coast on June 14, where he is slated to be conferred with the highest honour of the country. He will hold a one-to-one meeting with Alassane Ouattara, President of Republic of Ivory Coast on a wide range of issues.
- This is the first high-level visit from India since the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
(With PTI inputs)
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.