- The death toll due to lightning rose to 57 in Bihar on Wednesday, Principal Secretary (Disaster Management) Vyasji confirmed. Meanwhile, 12 people were killed by being struck by lightning in parts of Uttar Pradesh.
- Chandrashekhar, Disaster Management Minister told ANI that the death toll is expected to rise in Bihar.
- According to reports, the death toll on Tuesday was 26– the highest number of people killed due to lightning strikes in 24 hours in the state– as heavy monsoon rains lashed parts of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
- In Uttar Pradesh, 13 people were killed in rain-related incidents.
- Chandrashekhar said that the state government has announced a Rs 4 lakh compensation to the next of kin of each victim in Bihar.
(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)
Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from news and hot-news
Topics: Monsoons Bihar Heavy Rainfall