Ex-Nissan chief Ghosn's detention extended by 10 days
Tokyo, Dec 23 (IANS) A Tokyo court has extended the detention of Nissan Motor's former Chairman Carlos Ghosn for another 10 days, a statement said on Sunday.
His full term of the detention will expire on January 1, 2019, the Tokyo District Court said.
The move by the court comes as Tokyo prosecutors continue to grill the car industry tycoon over allegations that he shifted a personal investment loss worth more than $16 million to the Japanese carmaker, Aljazeera reported.
The extension means Ghosn will remain in Tokyo's main detention centre, where he has been confined since his arrest in November on initial allegations of financial misconduct.
The Franco-Brazilian-Lebanese executive earlier had hoped of being freed on bail after the same court rejected a bid last week by prosecutors to extend his detention over allegations related to under-reporting his income.
However, on Friday, prosecutors slapped Ghosn with a fresh arrest warrant over the investment loss, gaining a 48-hour period to keep him in custody before the latest extension was granted.
The 64-year-old has reportedly denied the allegations, asserting that transactions were carried out legally.
(This story was auto-published from a syndicated feed. No part of the story has been edited by The Quint.)