I’m Karnataka’s First COVID-19 Survivor & Here’s My Story

I bear testimony to the fact that the battle against coronavirus can be won.

My Report
3 min read

I’m a resident of Raja Rajeshwar Nagar in Bengaluru. I’m the the first patient to be discharged out of Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases after making a full recovery from the novel coronavirus. I’ve had many people questioning me and calling to ask how things went, etc. I hope I am able to clear all misconceptions and misunderstandings.

The first question, of course, is how contracted the virus in the first place.

In the first week of March, I took a flight to Los Angeles, USA, via Heathrow in London. There were a large number of people from Italy and China trying to move into the US as other airports are closed.

(Click here for live updates on COVID-19. Also visit Quint Fit for comprehensive coverage on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.)


My journey till Heathrow was good but I believe that is where I picked up the infection. This was probably through the bathrooms that people use or maybe it was the security scan where you put your fingerprint.

I landed on a Sunday and by Thursday, 6 March, a fever started to kick in. In California, there was a flu going around so initially I thought it was that. I took some medicines and preponed my trip by a day. At the Bengaluru airport I made a declaration that I have fever and I want to be tested as I didn’t want to go home and infect others.

The doctors at the airport, because they were not equipped, just took my temperature reading and just gave me clearance.

At home, I had a feeling that something was not quite right. I told my wife I wanted to keep a distance from the rest of the family and I moved to the floor upstairs.

Over the day, I tried to find out how to take a cooronavirus test. I went to Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseasesm where doctors did a very prompt file creation and consequent test. I distanced myself socially again and next afternoon, the hospital called to tell me I had a high COVID-19 strain. They promptly arranged for an ambulance that took me to an isolation facility.

My fever kept shooting up to at least 102 degrees over the next few days. The doctors were very helpful and even catered to my need for an authentic South Indian breakfast!


I was also given a few antibiotics so that I do not get a secondary infection. As for the fever and the virus itself, it was just about letting the days pass. There were, of course, a few hiccups. As the facility was new, it was some trouble arranging food and getting medicines delivered on time.

The situation improved gradually. Exactly after two weeks, my fever subsided. The swab test turned out negative.

The body has to be given space to fight the fever. I am grateful to the doctors who were well-informed about this and helped navigate the two-week time period. Everything can be managed. Don’t fall prey to fake news. Just distance yourself socially, wear a mask and wash your hands regularly. Most importantly, stay home.

(All 'My Report' branded stories are submitted by citizen journalists to The Quint. Though The Quint inquires into the claims/allegations from all parties before publishing, the report and the views expressed above are the citizen journalist's own. The Quint neither endorses, nor is responsible for the same.)

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Read Latest News and Breaking News at The Quint, browse for more from my-report

Speaking truth to power requires allies like you.
Become a Member
3 months
12 months
12 months
Check Member Benefits
Read More