Jodhpur Court Dismisses False Affidavit Plea Against Salman Khan

The Rajasthan government had filed two pleas against him for submitting a false affidavit in the court in 2003.

Published
Celebrities
2 min read
 <p>A Jodhpur court has dismissed pleas filed by the Rajasthan government against Salman Khan for submitting a false affidavit in the court in 2003.</p>
i

Salman Khan thanked fans for their support after a Jodhpur District and Sessions Court on Thursday, 11 February, dismissed two pleas filed by the Rajasthan government against him for submitting a false affidavit in the court in 2003 in connection with the 1998 blackbuck poaching case he is involved in.

"To all my fans.. thank u for your love support n concern. Khayal rakho apna n parivaar ka (Take care of your family). God bless n loveee u tooo...(sic)" the actor tweeted.

Had Salman Khan been proven guilty, a case under Section 193 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) would have been filed against him, which entails a provision of seven-year imprisonment, his lawyer Hastimal Saraswat told IANS.

In 1998, Salman was arrested for hunting two blackbucks in Kankani village near Jodhpur during the shooting of the film Hum Saath Saath Hain. At that time, a case under Arms Act was registered against the actor and the court had asked him to submit his arms licence.

The actor submitted an affidavit in the court in 2003, saying that he had lost the licence. He also lodged an FIR at the Bandra police station in Mumbai in this connection. However, the court later came to know that his arm licence was not lost, but had been submitted for renewal.

Public prosecutor Bhavani Singh Bhati had then demanded that a case of misleading the court be filed against the actor. However, on Thursday, the Jodhpur District and Sessions Court judge Raghavendra Kachwal dismissed the pleas filed against Khan.

Earlier on Tuesday, Khan had apologised before the court for 'mistakenly' submitting a false affidavit in 2003 during his hearing in the blackbuck poaching case.

His lawyer Saraswat told the court that Khan should be forgiven for mistakenly submitting a false affidavit back then. During the hearing, he said, "The affidavit was mistakenly submitted on 8 August, 2003, as Salman had forgotten that his licence was given for renewal as he was too busy. Therefore, he mentioned in the court that the licence had gone missing."

A trial court in 2018 had convicted Salman Khan and awarded a five-year prison sentence to him for the killing of two blackbucks in October 1998. The actor had challenged the trial court verdict in the sessions court. His fellow actors Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Neelam and Sonali Bendre, who were present on the spot in Kankani along with him, were acquitted.

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!