FAQ: Bookings for Special Passenger Trains – What Should I Know?
Here’s all you need to know about the special trains – from where to book these tickets to how to make reservations.
Video Editor: Mohd Ibrahim
Video Producer: Hera Khan
Days after the Indian Railways opened bookings for reservation of tickets on 15 ‘special’ passenger trains, the government announced that it will open reservation for 200 more non-AC passenger trains.
The Indian Railways had suspended the passenger, mail and express train services on 25 March when the nationwide lockdown to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus had begun.
Here’s all you need to know about the special trains – from where to book the tickets to how to make reservations.
When will the 200 new trains start operation?
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal announced that Indian Railways will resume the services of 200 special non-airconditioned trains from 1 June.
When and where can I book tickets for the same?
The Railway Ministry is yet to announce the date and time when reservation will start for these trains. You can book the tickets on the IRCTC website or mobile application.
Which are the 15 ‘special’ passenger trains that have been operating?
‘Special’ trains from New Delhi station connecting passengers to the following locations will be operational via stoppages in the following stations:
- Dibrugarh: Dimapur, Lumding Jn, Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Mariani, New Jalpaiguri, Katihar Jn, , Barauni Jn, Danapur, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn, Kanpur Central
- Agartala: Badarpur Jn, Guwahati, Kokrajhar,New Jalpaiguri, Katihar Jn, Barauni Jn, Patliputra, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
- Howrah: Asansol Jn, Dhanbad Jn, Gaya Jn, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn, Kanpur Central
- Patna: Patna Jn, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn., Kanpur Central
- Bilaspur: Raipur Jn, Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi
- Ranchi: Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
- Bhubaneswar: Balasor,Hijli (Kharagpur), Tatanagar, Bokaro Steel City, Gaya, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
- Secunderabad: Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi
- Bengaluru: Anantapur, Guntakal Jn, Secunderabad Jn, Nagpur, Bhopal Jn, Jhansi Jn,
- Chennai: Vijayawada, Warangal, Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi, Agra
- Thiruvananthapuram: Ernakulam Jn, , Kozhikkode, Mangalore, Madgaon,Panvel, Vadodara, Kota
- Madgaon: Ratnagiri, Panvel, Surat, Vadodara Jn, Kota Jn
- Mumbai Central: Surat, Vadodra, Ratlam, Kota
- Ahmedabad: Palanpur, Abu Road, Jaipur, Gurgaon,
- Jammu Tawi: Ludhiana
Each of these trains will operate like Rajdhani Express and depart from Delhi. It will also return back to the national capital in due course.
I live in Mumbai and I want to take a train to Bengaluru. Can I do that?
At present, all trains start from the New Delhi station, connecting people to various places. While you cannot take a direct train from Mumbai to Bengaluru under present circumstances, you can:
Take a train from Mumbai to Delhi and then take a train from the capital to Bengaluru.
How do I make reservations? Can I ask my travel agent to book for me?
- You can reserve tickets on IRCTC website or mobile application alone.
- Booking through travel agents, whether IRCTC or Railways, is not allowed.
- Tatkal booking and waitlists will not be available.
- The Railway Ministry said that ticket booking counters at stations will remain closed – therefore no over-the-counter tickets, including platform tickets will be issued.
What are the departure and arrival timings of these trains?
The Railway Ministry has said that it will announce the departure timings in due course. Watch this space for more updates.
The trains from Delhi to Mumbai, Patna, Kolkata, Dibrugarh, Jammu Tawi, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad and Bhubaneswar, will be running daily. The services to Agartala and Secunderabad will be once a week, to Chennai, Madgaon, Ranchi and Bilaspur twice a week, and to Thiruvananthapuram thrice a week.
I am a resident of Agra. I want to catch a train from New Delhi station. Can I do that?
There is no clarity on this by the Railway Ministry yet. As of now, inter-district travel, even within the state, is not allowed across the country.
How are the tickets priced?
The booking for reservation on the trains start at 4 pm on 11 May. All the trains will have air-conditioned coaches, and the fares will be similar to that of Rajdhani trains. No catering charges shall be included in fare, the ministry said.
I live in a red zone. I want to go to the railway station in my city. Is that allowed?
Yes, you can travel to a railway station within the red zone. However, if you are living in a containment zone, you will not be allowed to step out.
Can I book a ticket to Patna and get down at a station on the way?
Since these trains operate like Rajdhani, there will be limited stoppage at stations on the way. The list of stations the trains will stop at has been released by the Railway Ministry.
I live in a orange zone. My nearest railway station is in a red zone. Can I travel to the railway station?
The Railway Ministry has not issued any clarity on this yet. However, inter-district travel, even within the state remains prohibited as of now.
What precautions will be taken at the time of boarding the train?
- Only passengers with valid tickets will be allowed to enter the railway station.
- All passengers will have to wear a face mask during entry, exit and during travel.
- There will be medical screening.
- Only asymptomatic passengers will be allowed to board the train.
- All passengers will be provided hand sanitizer at entry and exit points.
- Passengers must maintain social distancing at all times.
Should I download Aarogya Setu app if I reserve a ticket?
The Railway Ministry has said that it is mandatory for all passengers to download Aarogya Setu.
What about food and blankets?
Passengers will have to bring their own food, bedsheet and blankets while travelling in these ‘special’ trains. However, pre-packed food and biscuits will be available by on-board catering and will be sold to those passengers who need them.
What happens at exit points?
On arriving at their destination, all passengers should follow the health protocols issued by the concerned state government, said the Ministry’s guidelines.
(With inputs from PTI, ANI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.