New COVID Curbs in Bengal, Weekend Lockdown in 9 Haryana Districts
Catch all the live updates of the COVID-19 pandemic here.
The West Bengal government on Friday, 30 April, announced a fresh set of restrictions amid a surge in COVID-19 cases, with shopping malls, restaurants, bars, beauty parlours, gyms, spas and swimming pools to be shut. All social, cultural, academic and entertainment-related gatherings will also be prohibited, while bazaars and hats will remain open during 7-10 am and 3-5 pm.
Essential services will continue, and home deliveries and online services will also be permitted.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court, hearing a suo motu case on the COVID-19 crisis on Friday, warned that no state should clamp down on information if citizens communicate their grievances on social media, adding that doing so will be treated as contempt.
“We want to make it very clear that if citizens communicate their grievance on social media, then it cannot be said it's wrong information. We don't want any clampdown of information. We will treat it as a contempt of court if such grievances are considered for action,” the court said.
India on Friday reported 3,86,452 new COVID-19 cases, 3,498 deaths, and 2,97,540 discharges, as per the Union Health Ministry. The total cases in the country now stand at 1,87,62,976.
- SC on Friday suggested that the Centre should show the investments made by it to ramp up the manufacture of vaccines
- The apex court also told the Delhi government that there should be no political bickering, asking for cooperation with the Centre to deal with the crisis
- A weekend lockdown has been announced in nine districts of Haryana amid a massive COVID-19 surge
- Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal said on Friday that he has tested positive for coronavirus and has mild symptoms
- The third phase of vaccination is scheduled to begin from 1 May for citizens in the age group of 18-44 years
- Many states have expressed the inability to start the vaccination drive for people in the age group of 18 and 44 from 1 May
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Chhattisgarh Reports 14,994 New Cases, 216 Deaths
Chhattisgarh reported 14,994 new cases, 216 deaths and 12,804 recoveries. Total active cases stand at 1,18,958.
Delhi Reports 27,947 New Cases, 375 Deaths
Delhi reported 27,047 new COVID cases, 375 deaths and 25,288 recoveries in the last 24 hours. Total active cases stand at 99,361.
Karnataka Reports 48,296 New COVID Cases
Karnataka reported 48,296 new COVID cases, 217 deaths and 14,884 discharges today. Total case tally rises to 15,23,142.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.