Who Let the Dogs Out: A Mumbai Carnival Celebrates Furry Friends
A festival, just for your furry friends!
Spread across three acres of lush green lawns, Mumbai was witness to one of the largest pet carnivals ever on 16th and 17th of December. Pet Fed is a unique carnival. Created for pets and pet-owners, the festival was open to one and all. Yes, even those who don’t own pets - they could just go in a play with other people’s furry loves.
The man who started it all, Akshay Gupta, decided to launch Pet Fed in 2014. Akshay is a Delhi University alumnus, and has graduated in BSc Electronics from The Hindu College. He was always a part of various cultural and social events during his college years, where his passion to magnify unconventional ideas into reality, and research led him to one conclusion - there were no events for pets in India. Thus, the idea of Pet Fed came into being.
“Pets change our lives by adding positivity and unconditional love. Due to our busy schedules and non-pet friendly nature of Indian infrastructure, we are unable to reciprocate this love. Pet Fed fulfils this very need which allows people to dedicate two complete days to their beloved pets.”Akshay Gupta
PetFed 2017 highlights:
- Cutest weekend of the year with 3,000+ pets (dog, cat, hamsters and guinea pigs included)
- The activity ring this year was lined with displays like the Security Dog Show, Good Dog Citizen Program and an Obedience Display
- Pet’s Got Talent, happening for the first time in India. The pet gets one minute time slot to showcase their talent, in front of a live audience of 25,000+ pet lovers. Rs 60,000 prize money is in store for the top 3 winners
- Attempted a Limca world record for the Biggest Dog Gathering
- Dogs and Cats on the ramp for a one of a kind fashion show
- A dedicated Police Dog Show where protection dogs will be showcased real life scenarios of robbery and theft
- Debuted in Mumbai
- Will soon be held in Bangalore
Activities like Security Dog Show, Pet’s Got Talent, Good Dog Programme, Pupper Parade, World Record Attempt, Pet Fashion Show, Temptation Alley, a dedicated Cat Zone and an Off-Leash Zone for pets were crowd pullers. The event also hosted adoption camps for those who are still searching for their furry buddy.
Photo Courtesy: Aditya Mehrotra
(Breathe In, Breathe Out: Are you finding it tough to breathe polluted air? Join hands with FIT in partnership with #MyRightToBreathe to find a solution to pollution. Send in your suggestions to email@example.com or WhatsApp @ +919999008335)
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)