New Venue, Head-to-Head: Trivia on India vs West Indies ODI Ties
After a clean sweep in the tour-opening T20 International series, Team India will next play West Indies in a three-match ODI series starting 8 August.
The Carlos Brathwaite-led were no match for the Men in Blue, going down by 4 wickets, 22 runs (D/L) and 7 wickets in the three games. Jason Holder will now lead the 14-man West Indies squad in the three One Day Internationals. All eyes, however, will be on Chris Gayle, who had earlier said he would retire post the World Cup, but then announced he’d be playing the ODI series against India.
Ahead of the three-match rubber, here’s a look at interesting facts and numbers from the past India vs West Indies ODIs.
- West Indies enjoy a better success percentage than India in ODIs, winning 62 and losing 60 out of 127 contested. Three matches could not produce results while two ended in tied games.
- Seven matches out of the last 10 ODIs played between the two teams have been won by India. West Indies won just two while one ended in a 'tie'.
- The last three matches against the West Indies resulted in big wins for India – by 224 runs at Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai on 29 October 2018 (India's biggest win in terms of runs against the West Indies); by nine wickets at Thiruvananthapuram on 1 November 2018 and by 125 runs at Manchester on 27 June 2019.
- The last three bilateral series between the two teams in the Caribbean have been won by India – 2-1 in 2009; 3-2 in 2011 and 3-1 in 2017.
- The top-scorer in ODIs involving India and West Indies is India's captain, Virat Kohli – his tally being 1,912 at an average of 70.81 in 33 matches. His tally of seven hundreds against them is a record by a batsman in ODIs.
- Among the batsmen with 1,100 runs or more against West Indies in ODIs, Kohli's magnificent average is the highest.
- Desmond Haynes, with 1,357 runs at an average of 42.40 in 36 matches, is the top run-scorer for West Indies against India in ODIs.
- Virender Sehwag is the only double centurion in ODIs involving India and West Indies – 219 off 149 balls at Indore on 8 December 2011. He was captaining the team.
- Patrick Patterson's figures of 6 for 29 at Nagpur on 8 December 1987 are the best by a West Indian bowler vs India in ODIs.
- Anil Kumble's career-best bowling performance of 6 for 12 in the CAB Jubilee Tournament (Hero Cup) at Kolkata on 7 November 1993 is the best by an Indian bowler vs West Indies in ODIs.
ODIs at Providence Stadium, Guyana
- 21 matches have been played at this venue, 13 of those have been won by sides batting first and 8 by sides batting second.
- West Indies have contested in 15 matches at this venue, winning Seven and losing eight. India will be playing their first ODI at this venue.
- Shahid Afridi's splendid career-best figures of 7 for 12 against West Indies were recorded at this venue on 14 July 2013.
- Sunil Narine's superb career-best bowling performance of 6 for 27 against South Africa was registered at this venue on 3 June 2016.
(The Quint is now available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)